live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snowdude

Aquarium Advice Activist
how much is to much? and is there such a thing as to little? I have a 65 gal. How much LR is recomonded? And whats the best way to place it so fish do not stay behind them all the time?

Well,
I heard 1.5 - 2# per gal is good for started? And I think you can place it any way you feel like, it is really up the fish where they are the shy type or the active type. Get a pair of clown and they are sure will be all over the tank :)

how much is to much?

So much there is no room for fish to swim. That would be to much.

is there such a thing as to little?

Most definatly. If your using your live rock as a living filter than you should shoot for an absolute minimum of 1lb per gal. For a 65 a happy amount in my mind would be 75-90lbs. Different types of live rock has different densities so 75lbs of fiji rock will take up a different volume of space than 75lbs of FL rock for example.

Place the rock how you want. Ideally you should leave room between the rock and the back glass and also you should situate the rock so its fairly stable and wont topple over yet at the same time not place it in such a manor like your building a rock wall. You want places where the fish can swim in and around the rock this will asure that water can flow thru the rocks. If the fish stay in the back behind the rock or not is more a product of the fish's tempermint than how the rocks are setup.

Back
Top Bottom