live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

landshark

Aquarium Advice Activist
If I get a new chunk of live rock can I just toss it in with my tank thats already been cycled??

It would be best to quarantine it and recure it, even though it is live rock. It really depends on where it is coming from and how much you trust the source... but even "live" rock will have some die off during transport that can translate to ammonia spikes in your system.

Thanx...I tossed it right in like the Petco lady told me to....read your advice kinda too late

Good ?! I just purchased 150 lbs of rock. It's been out of the tank for 1 month. I rinsed it with tap water, and am planning on leaving it out in the sun until sat. Can I just out it in ye tank after that? I have a 135g fowlr tank. Sorry to steal your thread.

There will still be dead/rotting stuff on the rock. Even if it dries in the sun you will release ammonia once it is wet again. Best to cure it in a Rubbermaid tub or garbage can for a month before adding to your tank.

I mean let it run in warm, moving saltwater for several weeks with a few water changes during the process. Search "curing live rock".,you will find a lot of articles on different methods.

The curing process has began! 1 Rio 2100 at top, 2 power heads (1 on bottom and 1 in the middle), and 1 heater. Can't wait.

image-2209431143.jpg

Back
Top Bottom