Live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Damarferg

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had dry live rock in my freshwater tank and now I'm shutting the fw tank down and putting the live rock in my aw tank anything I should do before putting the live rock in my tank

IMO You might be sending bad bacteria over to the new tank. I would boil the rock for a few minutes to remove any fw bacteria. I would wait for a more veteran response though

I had dry live rock in my freshwater tank and now I'm shutting the fw tank down and putting the live rock in my aw tank anything I should do before putting the live rock in my tank

Best thing to do is to cure your live rock all over again... let it sit outside for 2-3 weeks... this will kill any fw bacteria and any other hitchhikers that will cause your sw tank to spike... dry rock will always turn back into live rock....

I had 170lbs of rock that I needed to cure. I let it sit out in sun for a few days then put the rock in a huge tub with 2 power heads, and a heater. I then added my saltwater. I did w/c every 3 days. Do this for about 3-5 weeks then you'll have some nicely cured rock. You might still go through a little cycle in your dt, but nothing that some w/c can't fix. Goodluck

I had 170lbs of rock that I needed to cure. I let it sit out in sun for a few days then put the rock in a huge tub with 2 power heads, and a heater. I then added my saltwater. I did w/c every 3 days. Do this for about 3-5 weeks then you'll have some nicely cured rock. You might still go through a little cycle in your dt, but nothing that some w/c can't fix. Goodluck

Should I do a coral dip too

I'm not familiar with that I just heard if you use coral dip it will kill anything that was on the live rock

Never heard of dipping. Only dip I know of is copper based and thats the last thing you want to do bc it will get in your silica and stay in your rocks. You wont be able to get it out. It will also kill any inverts. The best thing to do is let it sit in the sun. Time is always the best answer. Using chemicals only hides a problem and makes a bigger one when it comes back.

Never heard of dipping. Only dip I know of is copper based and thats the last thing you want to do bc it will get in your silica and stay in your rocks. You wont be able to get it out. It will also kill any inverts. The best thing to do is let it sit in the sun. Time is always the best answer. Using chemicals only hides a problem and makes a bigger one when it comes back.

Ok thanks

Wow!!! That's a scary story! Never boiled live rock before, and sure as heck not EVER going to do it after reading that. I think bleach/water and air drying is the best route for sure.

Wow i did not know that. I doubt any palyps are on a lr from a freshwater tank. I retract my last statement. DO NOT BOIL LR!!!!

Back
Top Bottom