Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-16-2004, 07:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

live rock

I am thinking about ordering some LR from liverocks.com. 20 to 25 lbs. Any recommendations on what type? I am lookng at the Keys rock and Gulf rock. I like the colors of the keys, but like the life on the Gulf. Any suggestions?

Old 08-16-2004, 08:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Re: live rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando
I like the colors of the keys, but like the life on the Gulf. Any suggestions?
IMO if you are going reef you may not want the life on the LR. Mantis shrimp and little evil stone crabs galore I can't even tell you how mnay snails I lost until I removed probably 6-8 stone crabs. EverytimeI thougth I got them all I find one late at night munching on a snail.

Old 08-16-2004, 11:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had plenty of good hitch hikers on my keys rock from LR.com

and it's easier to add more life, than to catch mantis shrimp
Old 08-17-2004, 01:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

wut type of rock do you guys think would be best to go with in avoiding mantis's and other bad hitchikers
Old 08-17-2004, 01:55 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I got a ton of life in my 80pounds of Keys LR

I caught a Mantis in the bag the LR was in. Got lucky.

I dont think you can avoid a bad hitcher. Just accept that there is a good chance your going to get them.

You can keep'em or deal with them later. I kept them. Makes the tank interesting for now. you gotta take the good with the bad.

I hear something clicking away in the tank right now.
Mantis or a Pistol. I dunno,

Enjoy

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
--------------------------------------------------------
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 03:41 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I hand picked mine at a good lfs - cured for $6/lb. Hitchhikers on just 20 lbs included: bristleworms, turbo snail, and a porcelain crab. There were no mantis shrimp or other bothersome critters. I figure by the time the rock has been cured and sitting in a display tank at the lfs, most of those buggers have been removed.

Don't forget to check AA Sponsors first.

www.macna2006.com
saberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 11:26 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd get the Keys rock from LR.com over the Gulf rock. more colorful, and you'll still get critters. plus the keys is aquacultured, which seems like it'll have some more interesting shapes.
also, a lot of people find that LR.com rock doesn't need any curing...they pull it from large holding tanks, pack it and ship it and in 20 hours you've got it with next to no die off.
the most ammonia I had was .25ppm, and I'm told my ammonia kit sometimes reads false positive for ammonia.

If you do order from them, call first, and talk to Mike about your tank. If its new, without any rock, they'll select larger rocks to help you build a foundation. If you're adding rock, he'll ship smaller pieces to help you finish it off.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
I talked to Mike Yesterday, VERY helpful guy. and because My LFS rock sucks so bad, Liverocks.com is the place for me!

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com