Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melissfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
What is the best way to catch a nasty little manta shrimp who is causing havoc in my tank. I have taken his live rock (hes inside it ) to a quarantine tank but cant coax the nasty little thing out he has been on a murderous rampage killin crabs tubeworms and he chased my zebra goby. im getting tempted to boil his rock!!

You could try placing the rock on an upside down bowl in the tank and then lowering the water level to just below the rock. The Mantis should shoot out into the water soon enough.

i tried this over a bucket for 4 hours and it did not come out i dont want to kill off the live rock how long can i dry it out for.

Were you holding the rock? If so that may be the reason.. they are incredibly smart/stubborn and know not to come out while you're around. With the bowl you can leave and let it come out on it's own.

The rock will be fine.. just pour water over it from time to time to keep it from drying out.

If that doesn't work then try hypersalinity or carbonated dips.

a dark room might help too. I'm pretty sure I have a mantis shrimp ( i hear multiple clicks, rather tahn a single click, which i'm told is one way to determine a mantis vs. pistol shrimp).
late one night I saw something small darting around the dank (I have moonlights) but never see it in daytime lighting.

got him!!!!! I stabbed him with a metal skewer (cruel, i know) then a tap of the rock brought the shocked shrimp out onto my floor. He is still alive and living in a plastic lunchbox floating in my tank, til i have a more humane way of disposal.

Back
Top Bottom