Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2004, 09:32 PM   #1

Live Rock

I just got 10 LBS of LR from the LFS. It looked like decent quality rock. I have had it in my tank for about 3 days. Today I noticed a gray pattern growing on one of the rocks. It looks as if someone painted it on to the rock. It is gray with darker gray lines making a pattern. I'm kind of confused as to what it is. Any help please?

Also...on of the rocks there is this small (1-2 inch), brown thing with jelly like spikes floating about. If I could get some info on that as well please.

- $imple
Old 09-13-2004, 09:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

pics?

100lbs Live Rock
20g Refugium
(1) Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp
(1) Peppermint Shrimp
(2) False Percs
(1) Orchid Dottyback
(1) Lawnmower Blenny
(1) Flame Angel
(1) Spotted Mandarin
(1) Red Brittle Star
(1) Banded Serpent Star

"But then again, fish do tend to eat one another. I often wonder ... if fish get awfully tired of seafood? What are your thoughts Hobson?"
gear-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 09:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

could be some coralline algae bleaching. almost impossible to tell without pics or more details.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 10:10 PM   #4

I have a Canon G2 Powershot 4.0 Megapixel digital camera but I can't seem to get a good picture of anything inside my tank. I could use some help. I don't think there is anything wrong with the camera I'm using so it must be my technique.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:26 PM   #5

Wow. I heard people saying "use a tripod" and I was like, yeah right, that's going to do much. Well I tried it and my pictures got 100% clearer. Ok here's what I got (the last one is of the weird jelly spikey thingy):
Old 09-13-2004, 10:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

turn off all the lights in the room, except the tank light itself. use a tripod on the camera, or if you don't have one, steady your elbows on a chair, tv tray to minimize blurriness.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:32 PM   #7

Ok I didn't resize so they didn't come up, but here they are now. The first gray pattern thingy looks greenish in the picture but it is really gray though.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The first picture looks like Aipstasia, maybe someone can make a positive ID for you. The second one may be some sort of macroalgae.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 12:08 AM   #9

I think you might be right. What exactly is it though? I mean what class of creatures would it go in. I'm kind of worried about it because I don't have very good lighting and I don't want it to die off. I am assuming it either has very strong senses or it has eyes because when I bring the net near it, it goes into its hole on the live rock. Completely hidden.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:23 AM   #10

one more thing, i have read so much negative things about them. what is so bad about them and how should i get rid of it?

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com