Live Rock ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

X the Outsider

Aquarium Advice Freak
I already have an established tank. I was thinking I really should add live rock to help with filtration, and just to get a more natural environment for my fish. Is it possible to add live rock to an established tank? And if it is what should I look for?

X the Outsider said:
Is it possible to add live rock to an established tank?
You could if added in very small amounts over time but it's generally not recommended, it's very risky.

And if it is what should I look for?
Basically rock that the LFS has had for a few months would be well cured enough to use right away. You would also need to have a good trust relationship as many will tell you what is needed to make the sale. If not well cured, die off will definately wreek havoc on your tank and animals. Anything purchased online no matter the claims should still be suspect and seperately housed for a week at least to ensure there is no ammonia.

Cheers
Steve

To add to what Steve said;

You should read this article - Curing Live Rock and cure any rock you get.

Personally, after the curing process, I would add it in small quantities once a week, and check the water parameters daily to make sure there is no spike.

Back
Top Bottom