Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO you should not pay the extra price for 'cured' rock if it has to be shipped to you. The shipping process itself is going to require you to recure the rock.

No matter where you get the rock (exception LFS) your going to have die off and the rock will need to cure. With fully cured rock the time may be less than with fresh rock, but IME the diversity of life is greater with fresh rock. It is also very easy to cure the rock in a rubbermaid garbage can or rubbermaid tub, if there is already life in your tank ;)

there is nothing in the tank right now. So would i have to cure the uncured rock in a container or can i do it in my tank? and if so waht do i need to do in order to do that??? tfth

I cured my LR inside my tank....I didn't have anything but LS in the tank. I just let it sit there with my filter and skimmer running for a couple of weeks. When your water tests are normal, and the rock doesn't have a bad smell to it, it should be cured....at least thats what i was told and it worked for me...well so far!!! haha...someone please tell me if im wrong!

that's the way i find that my rock is cured too.. first it smells like sewage.. then it went away and i tested the water and it was all cured

aquacon is where i got mine from and looked great when i got it. be careful though as it will cause ur tank to cycle with ammonia to spike like craazy ... make sure there are no fish in the tank.

curing live rock w/ live sand

You did good curing live rock in your tank, just as long as there is nothing but live sand in the tank, the dieing animals in uncured live rock should help to cycle and promote growth in your live sand

As long as you haven't already cycled your tank and started to add livestock, then curing the LR in the tank serves two purposes. You cure the LR and cycle the tank at the same time.

thanks guys
but do i have to cure it if i buy cured rock from a lfs i found that only charges 2.99 a pound
it should be fine right?

I suspect that @ 2.99 per lb your not getting LR, your getting base rock ;) In either case, if the rock is fully cured, then no you don't have to cure it, but I might recommend quarantining the rock for the following reasons:
1) You only have your LFS's word that the rock is fully cured
2) If they have fish in their rock tanks, it is possible to introduce parasites into your tank ;)

2) If they have fish in their rock tanks, it is possible to introduce parasites into your tank

Too true! My lfs treats all new livestock with copper and I don't get anything he hasn't been keeping for me for at least 2 weeks. Never had a problem till I came home with a zoo colony rock. I just put my purple firefish in QT due to an ICH outbreak. :(

Back
Top Bottom