Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-08-2007, 01:57 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The brain coral I have is dead. So it should not matter right? Still leave it in there? If I order the live rock and base rock now and put it in one week into the cycle, will that change the ammonia and then nitrite reading I get? And If I do it this way no need to cure it? Also, how much live rock/base rock is needed?

Oh and I don't have power heads...I'm not really sure what these are for? Will I need these also right away? I think these are to circulate the water better? right?

Old 06-08-2007, 02:17 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhorse
If I order the live rock and base rock now and put it in one week into the cycle, will that change the ammonia and then nitrite reading I get?
This might cause your ammonia to rise, but is natural in the cycle proccess. Once you get it, scrub the LR off to remove as much die-off as possibly and rinse the base rock as well.
Quote:
Also, how much live rock/base rock is needed?
You should shoot for 1.5-2Lbs per gallon for the best filtration. You can mix 80% base with LR or however much you like.
Quote:
Oh and I don't have power heads
These are pretty important. They help move the water (some critters need flow for feeding, like some corals). They will also help to agitate the surface for stable pH. Major namebrands are SEIO, Maxi-Jet, don't get cheap ones. I prefer the Hydor Koralia Water Circulation Pump but others will have their preferences as well.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:43 PM   #13

I'm going with a fish only aquarium. Is the power head still important? Also with the base/live rock and a power head in there, I will still need my cannister filter?

Where is the best place online to buy base rock? I saw a post earlier but I can't seem to find it now.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:11 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
The ph is important to keep O2 exchange for a stable pH, in any SW tank (unless you have enough flow from your cannister or sump/fuge's return and plenty of surface ripple). I like my cannister filter. I tossed out the sponges and carbon. I kept the ceramic rings (you can substitute it with LR rubble, if you like) and only run purigen in my filter. I also have 2 Hydor 2s and another ph in the middle of the tank.
I bought my base rock from marcorocks.com and was very pleased, it seems he has raised his prices and someone else might be able to point you to a cheaper site.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:49 AM   #15

I'm going to order some live rock this weekend from exoticfish.com. Is 50 lbs. good for now for my 55 gallon tank? Or should I go with 100 lbs.? I'll be adding it in there 10 days into the cycle.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:22 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

100lbs would be ideal. Not sure how it comes boxed, but usually its in 45lbs boxes. Two of those will be just fine. Also, specify over-night shipping as oppossed to two day. the rock will arrive in much better condition.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:49 PM   #17
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree that more than the 50 would be good also as it would provide more surface area for the beneficial bacteria to grow on.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:32 AM   #18

How should I go about curing my live rock when I get it? Should I add in right in my tank and just let it cycle?

I'm kind of confused now because I'm reading a book that suggests that no substrate be added while curing/cycling the live rock and that the live rock can't be placed on top of the live sand. Problem is I already have the live sand in there and have been cycling already for about 1 week with the shrimp. Where do I go from here?
Old 06-10-2007, 04:58 AM   #19
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You can either just add to your tank now which is what I would do or cure it in a plastic tote. Since you are only one week in the cycle just add it to your tank and cycle your tank and cure your LR at the same time. When you get your LR I would scrub it really good in some SW to femove the dieoff. Read that link I gave you on curing LR that I sent you a couple post ago.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:53 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree...go ahead and add it to the tank. SInce your tank is cycling it will be fine. In the future, if you want to add additional LR to your CYCLED tank then you must buy cured LR or do it yourself. As far as adding the substrate and putting the LR on top, you will be fine.

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com