Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2008, 10:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to pph_2ppr
The tank is only about a month old with around 20 lbs of live rock. 4" live sand bed. and 2 damsels that i would like to switch off for a clown or goby

Old 01-28-2008, 11:14 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

You would be wise to get rid of both damsels as they will make it hard to add any fish in the future as they are territorial .. The crabs will eat what ever is left over fromt he fish feedings , anything more you are risking adding addtional NitrAtes , phosphates which in turn can cause algea blooms , that are difficult to get ahold on once they get a foothold

10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:30 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

i dont know of anywhere i could take the damsels, but i dont know if i should just pop them off. i put in a small 1/4 by 1/2 piece of dry seaweed, i hope that wasn't too much.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:30 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

You may be able to return them to the pet store ....as for the seaweed you really dont have any grazers that will utlize it ... Try flake or pelleted food
Old 01-29-2008, 08:48 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

how do i know if the fish are being underfed?
Old 01-29-2008, 09:23 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just watch their belly area as it will look sunken in . If you feed a few pellets every other day you would not likely under feed , the crabs will forage from the scraps . I feed my guys twice a week the rest they forage for and have stayed plump and happy .For the crabs I toss in a few on the oposite side of the tank for them to sink. I have found that they seem to be just as active as they were when fed 2 x a day however most feed every other day and there guys are happy and healthy....most have had thier fish long term ....
Old 01-29-2008, 11:05 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

right now i feed them frozen brine shrimp and they devour it extremely fast (15 seconds) they always appear to want more....should i feed them enough so it takes them about a minute to get it cleaned up?
Old 01-30-2008, 08:07 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fish are adept beggers . They will always beg. Ours will zoom to the top even if they were just fed.
Also try either a pellet, flake or mysis food as brine is nutritionally deficent ...
Rule of thumb is never feed more than they can eat in 2 minutes , I like feeding a small pinch , wait and feed a small pinch so it ends up being 3 or4 small pinches , takes all of 5 minutes to feed and its funny to watch too ..
Old 01-30-2008, 08:52 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

lol sounds like a good idea, what pellets do you think would be the best for small damsels? ive been checking out some sites and found what appear to be good products...
Old 01-30-2008, 09:23 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use 2 diffrent ones bioblend marine food small pellets omega one marine pellets they really like the marineland bioblend foods (purple cap ) Not sure if they still make it tho I have not needed to buy it in 3 years LOL with the varitiy that we feed and as little as we feed

Tags
acclimation, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com