Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2008, 08:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to pph_2ppr
live rock acclimation?

I bought some live rock today and was wondering if there is an acclimation process or if i can just dump it in and all the bacteria will be fine?

Old 01-27-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

It depends. Is it fully cured? If it is not fully cured, you definitely want to cure it. If you don't, it will cause your ammonia to spike. It will cause the same thing as a cycle.

If it is fully cured, you can add it to the tank but be aware, there might be some creatures that you don't want in your tank such as mantis shrimp. They say before you add it to your tank, put it in a trashcan, mix up water to the salinity tune of 1.040 and let it soak for 1 minute. It will drive all creatures out of the rock and you can do away with whatever creatures you don't want. You can also take a red light and look at night and see what's crawling around.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

the pieces i got were relatively small so i dont think that i should have many if any problems with pests(but i could be wrong, i usually am when it comes to keeping a saltwater tank haha) i have a red light that i will check out my tank with tonight, hope its interesting.

i just dumped the rock into the aquarium, i think i saw a dying bristle worm on it...
Old 01-27-2008, 10:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

If there is nothing in your tank such as corals or fish you should have no problem placing it right in with out any acclimation/qt . If your tank is already established you will want to QT to look for nasties that could be there .... as said you could do a hyper dip but qt will just require a ph and heater ... As for the feather duster no it should beable to pull out what it needs from the tank . If it is a small feather duster the larger ones that you see for sale should not be added to a tank that is less than 4 months old IMHHO
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:19 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

the bristle worm i saw appears to be dead, if theres 1 that i have seen there is bound to be more hiding? are they something to get rid of?
Old 01-28-2008, 12:44 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bristle worms are perfectly fine. I consider mine part of my clean up crew, and they do a great job. The "bad" ones are quite rare, and normally only show up on Caribbean rock, if I remember correctly.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

IF the LR was cured and your tank is cycled, then bacteria should be preserved provided the transport time was short and rock remained wet. Hitch-hikers on LR are always a concern (especially bad ones). If this was bought at the LFS as Fiji, Tonga, or Marshal Island LR you should be okay. Marine-cultured LR such as "Florida" or "Carribean" LR will tend to have more of the bad hitch-hikers on it.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

it was sold as fiji live rock from paradise cove pets in Bellevue, from what iv'e heard it is a pretty reliable store. since there is no significant algae how do i get my hermit crabs to eat the dried seaweed? im thinknig about putting a small piece hanging out from my magnet glass cleaner, but how do i get them to find it?
Old 01-28-2008, 09:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

If you are leaving your lights on for 12 hours, that should create some diatoms. If you do hang seaweed on your magnet, put it at the very bottom.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Eh you dont need to feed them seaweed , they will forage for food from your fish feedings . How old is your tank ?
Do you have fish ? If not you can feed them a couple sinking fish pellets as hermits are not totally grazers they will feed on what ever they can find to eat

10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acclimation, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com