Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2004, 09:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to swiftwing7
live rock and base rock

i plan on getting about 150 pounds of lr for my 125 gallon tank. it is pretty expensive so i was wondering out of the lr how much of it could bebase rock and how much would be live. If i can save some money by getting base rock i will be able to get more live. thanks

Old 07-17-2004, 11:19 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
You could go with 100-120lbs of base rock and top it with 30-50lbs of live rock.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 07:39 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I agree with fishfreek's figures, I've read somewhere about scraping off some corraline algae from the live rocks and planting them on base/dead rock. Then again, I'm sure that in time, the creatures and whatever living things growing on the live rock will find their way to the dead rocks. Takes time though and the proper amount of calcium and trace elements to help the good algae flourish. HTH
EHEIM 2215 Canister Filter, AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer w preskim box, 36" PFO Lights with 2x 250W 10K MH and 2x96W T3 Actinics, JBJ Arctica Chiller 1/10 hp w/ Eheim 1250 Pump, Turbo-Twist 3x UV Sterilizer 9W, (1) Yellow Tang
(1)Potter's Angel, (2) Skunk Cleaner Shrimps,(1) Eibli's Angel, (26) Turbo Snails,(10) Nassarius Snails, (2) Sand sifting starfish
(1) Regal "hippo" Tang, (20) Hermit Crabs, (1) Coral Beauty, (1) Pygmy Angel, (1) Serpent Star, (1) Brittle Star, Pumping Xenia, Finger Leather, Yellow Polyps, Green Star Polyps, Colt Leather, Mushrooms, (2) Maxijet 600 PH and (2) Maxijet 1200 PH
Am I Overstocked Yet?
evenings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 10:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would never presume to contradict Fishfreek, but I think you could really start with almost any combination of live and base rock. The only difference will be the capacity to filter the water and the length of time it takes to seed the base rock. If you add livestock slowly and are very patient you could probably handle starting with less live rock. The addition of Live sand or a starter sand kit will also help a lot.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to swiftwing7
thanks alot. i plan on geting some live sand from the ocean or ordering it also. i may get a little more live than that but thanks for teh help fishfreak!
thanks
Old 07-18-2004, 09:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

not trying to change the subject but is it safe to use some sand from a beach somewhere versus buying it? just curious
Old 07-19-2004, 06:05 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

sand collected for tanks is from far out, where there are less pollutants.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:20 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

ok thanks.

Tags
base, base rock, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com