Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-30-2006, 07:43 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
i wonder if i should just do a 75% water change. any sugestions?
I wouldn't do a PWC, it could prolong your cycle. It will settle down. I actually had CC and sand in my tank. I ended up sifting out the sand, in the tank. I made a little of a mess, but not big deal...I even had my LR and critters in it. I did about 1/3 of the tank at a time.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 08:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to neoginn
awesome thanks for the input. the sand has settled and its very clear, I am wondering if it is ok to start putting in live rock, to possibly help in the cycling?

by saying "live rock" i mean rock that has algae and other living stuff in it.

Old 09-30-2006, 09:14 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

absolutely! just make sure your chemistries are stable before you add any fish.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:29 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok well i did that, i added honest to goodness live rock. covered with a little purple, some white, and some green. a nice little splash of color to an otherwise boring tank. hmm i want to post pictures but i think photobucket has limits on the amount of photos you can post. but onto the questions:
1. now that i put my live rock i assume that as of today i am cycling. i read that the recommended period of time is 6 weeks is this correct?
2. if i add more live rock will it speed up the process.
3. what temperature should the tank be set to?
4. how much light should i give the tank?
5. is it ok to mix the salt in the tank? i did it in a bucket but i am just wondering for curiosity sake.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:04 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yes you are cycling... and the timeline is different for every aquarium. Get yourself a good test kit and check the chemistries regularly. You are looking to see a spike in ammonia and then it will go back down to 0. (ammonia isn't the only thing you should monitor though) Don't do water changes. Just let it cycle. Some people add a piece of uncooked shrimp into the aquarium. The ammonia will stimulate the 'good bacteria' to grow. Yes it might stink a little ... it wasn't too bad when i did it.

When the spike goes up and comes down and stays down for a week or so then should have a good amount of bacteria. Do a water change but not a huge one. 25% should be good. Watch the chemistries again for a few days and if you don't see another spike in ammonia then you should be able to add a fish. ONE fish. Maybe two if they are small. And pick something hardy. Like tank raised clowns or damsels. Again keep a close eye on the chemistries. if they are still stable after two weeks or so then you can add another fish. Try to only do one at a time though! I know its hard.

If you want more live rock in the aquarium... add some. It won't hurt anything. As for speeding up??? It all depends on your aquarium. Just set it up to your liking.

I keep my tank at 78 degree. If you have an idea of what kind of fish you want do some research and see what temp they prefer.

Lighting depends on the inhabitants too. Are you doing Corals? If so then general rule is 3-5 watts per gallon. If not then you don't need that much light.

Without fish in the tank you can mix the saltwater in the tank. Just keep the live rock out of freshwater. That will keep all the good stuff on the rock. With fish in the tank.... mix the water in a bucket! A rapid change in salinity is enough to stress a fish. I assume you have a hydrometer...bout 12 bucks at your LFS and its necessary.

You'll probably notice a lot of algae growing in your tank in the next few weeks to months. It happens.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:04 AM   #16
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

The only thing I would do differently is that I would not mix any more salt in the tank. It needs to be done separately and aged a day or two and then added to the tank because of how caustic it is when first made up. Yes you do not have fish but you do have animal life in your LR. It is OK to make the original tankful of SW in the tank but after LR and LS I would pre make it add to tank.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 03:25 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

I dont got a huge tank. its only 20 gallons so really its a nano. so here are my questions:
1. should i put in fish before i put in the cleaners?
2. what kind of fish can i put in that small tank?

another thing i should tell every one of AA is that i use NO compact florencents 3 running at 25 watts each. but still i do not have actinic lighting just yet.

Tags
live, live rock, live sand, playsand, rock, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com