Live rock died?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hippo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there,

My neighbour had told me that some of fishes in his fish tank was dead after he discovered that one of the live rocks had rotten, due to those microorganism living in it had died.

What actually caused it?
:roll:

not a lot of info to go on... but if your neighbor maybe put uncured rock into his tank, that could have caused a serious problem... but without much more info on what exactly he did before hand and what happend it's hard tot tell.

He told me that he would change the water using distilled sea water weekly.

I know that once he had increased the number of fishes in his tank to 14. But many of them died, left 3 now.

Kindly inform any info you need beside the above. Thanks.

Regards,
hippo

Is a 2ft fish tank. I don't know whether he check on the ammonia or not. Will ammonia harm the microorganism in LR?

If he put "new" - uncured LR in the tank, it probably went through the ammonia cycle again and raised the ammonia levels in the tank. It should have been cured in a seperate container and then introduced into the tank. And 14 fish in a tank 2ft long?! Geeze, that sounds like WAY to many in there...Someone please correct me if i am wrong here since i am still learning! :lol:

Thanks for the information. Will share such knowledge with my neighbour.

Back
Top Bottom