live rock dying fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

y.roc30

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok I have a well established tank which had 2 mature striped damsels for 3-4 years. I donated them then started stocking with new fish and live rock and been losing fish left and right since. Was slowly acclimating them by drip method for 1 hour plus at times however still losing fish between several hours and several days. I have a brittle star and a host of snails and hermits which are seamingly happy. So my question is can my LFS's new live rock be contaminated and causing my fish illness or is it something else. Desperately seeking advice...

How long was the LR out of water? If it was long at all you could have die off which is causing your Ammonia to spike. Have you tested your water? You may be going through a mini-cycle.

rdnelson99 said:
How long was the LR out of water? If it was long at all you could have die off which is causing your Ammonia to spike. Have you tested your water? You may be going through a mini-cycle.

Well I think it was only 2-3 hours while I transported and acclimated my fish. I was instructed by my LFS to soft scrub the LR in SW then do a water change which I did so hopefully thus will make a diff. I also replaced my filter media and added some fritz-zyme to address a possible mini cycle and add more beneficial bacteria.

Wish I could be more help but I don't know enough about it to say if those measures prevented it or not. I would say test your water often and see what you read. If you are seeing any ammonia or nitrite you are going through a cycle.

If the rock was out of water for any time there will be die off. Adding "bacteria" is not gonna prevent it. Just test for ammonia and you'll probably see a mini cycle. water changes can fix that if it happens.

i added new live rock to my newest tank and it was only out of water for 30 min and I had a ammonia spike of .5 that lasted all of one day before the bacteria broke it down into trites and then trates.

Not sure I would have scrubbed the rock though, but whats done is done, who knows maybe it will help. :)

Wish I could be more help but I don't know enough about it to say if those measures prevented it or not. I would say test your water often and see what you read. If you are seeing any ammonia or nitrite you are going through a cycle.

I agree, will be testing my water more often in next few days then back to LFS, depending on readings to start over wish fish. Hoping for the best! Gonna start with a pair of clowns! *praying for success* Thank you...

If the rock was out of water for any time there will be die off. Adding "bacteria" is not gonna prevent it. Just test for ammonia and you'll probably see a mini cycle. water changes can fix that if it happens.

i added new live rock to my newest tank and it was only out of water for 30 min and I had a ammonia spike of .5 that lasted all of one day before the bacteria broke it down into trites and then trates.

Not sure I would have scrubbed the rock though, but whats done is done, who knows maybe it will help. :)

I agree, as i started scrubbing, was thinking to myself "this just feels pointless." But whatever...In a few days will do another "battery" of tests and depending on readings will be purchasing more fish, clowns this time. Hey Carey do you know if it's damaging to a tank to remove rock? Just curious...

I also failed to mention i had been operating without a skimmer, however will be adding a Bubble Magus HOB tomorrow so hopefully this will make a difference in my fishes' life. :)

What do you mean by damaging? If you remove rock from an established tank then it's detrimental to the tank loosing the rock. But if you just remove it for a short period of time you will just get some die off and the bacteria should still be intact. As long as you keep it wet.

Got it. Great piece of advice. I was asking because there are pieces I'm not too fond of in my tank but i can live with it. Thanks! Will just rearrange a little differently...

Back
Top Bottom