live rock filter or canister filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bschnuck

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have posted a few messages here and gotten some good advice but this one still confuses me. I will be setting up a 55 gal with @ 50 lbs of live rock, and 50 lbs of "dead" live rock (it was stored in water for 6 months with a temp of 65 degrees). I will also have a 3 inch live sand base. This will be a fish only tank. It sounds like i should put 2 powerheads on the tank for water flow, but should i attach a canister filter to the tank as well or is the live rock and sand going to be enough to keep the tank looking nice. The LFS i trust recomends the filter, but on this board im seeing otherwise. I want to do what's best for the fish while giving me an attractive tank to look at so any help would be appreciated. Also, how powerful should those power heads be? Thanks

I do not use any media besides my LR and DSB for filtration and my water is clear and my readings are perfect.

Get a couple of Maxijet 1200's in there.

LFS will always support a canister filter. Or a W/D. Or whatever else they have on their shelves. They hate DSB :D

Back
Top Bottom