Live rock for $1.60 per pound!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RubixCube said:
Do they ship to Canada?
Yes, I have e-mailed them in the past and they have confirmed they will ship to Canada. They can also help you figure out the freight cost if you tell them exactly where it's going... They are quite helpful and responsive.

Cheers
Steve

RubixCube said:
I called eTropicals there a while ago and the guy told me that they dident ship to Canada. Hmm... Are we talking about the same company :?:
Sorry, thought the subject was HiRock. I have no idea about E-Tropicals.

Cheers
Steve

Ok, i got my rocks... Here are some Pics!

I got my rocks and I am so far pretty impressed. There were a couple of things I was not too happy about as far as how it was packed (Not wrapped in damp newspaper and no heat packs) but everything seems to have made the trip ok.

I saw in a previous post that a user received all small pieces, and I believe I know why. They called me and told me they were out of rock due to the overwhelming response on the sale on weds and said they would be receiving a new shipment on thursday and would overnight it to me so I would still have it by friday. You probably received the last of what was left from their existing stock.

I did receive my order on friday and I had almost all LARGE pieces (See photos below). unfortunately due to circumstances beyond my control ( The fish store was out of salt, Imagine that.) I did not get to put the rock in till saturday afternoon. It does not seem to have suffered too bad due to the delay though.

On a side note, I drove all the way to Idaho (7 hours each way) to get my sand from a LFS there (ok, not a Local Fish store for me :wink: ) and they were FANTASTIC!

I purchased 450 pounds of southdown, A HUGE lionfish that was just beautiful and healthy, A really cool porcupine puffer that has the coolest disposition(He will chase a piece of krill I stick into the end of a piece of rigid airline all around the tank), 20 narssisus snails and 20 blue leg hermit crabs, a large starter culture of green water, and about 25 empty snail shells for the crabs to grow into. All of this only cost me around $138.00!!!

Ok, Hopefully I can figure out how to attach images into this message so you can see my live rock pictures and my cloudy tank full of rock (you can barely see some of the rock in the tank)

Here is the first box I opened

Box_1_closeup_web.jpg

Here is the second box I opened

Box_2_Closeup_web.jpg

This picture is of one rock! its almost the same size of the box! I recieved about 4 of these monsters, but this was the largest.

one_BIG_rock_web.jpg

And this last photo is my 120 gallon milk shake with a side of rocks...

my_cloudy_tank_web.jpg

Holy image size batman... 8O

If you want to send those to me I can shrink them down so they fit in the screen (my username)@aquariumadvice.com. 480x640 is a better pixel size for viewing. Or you can just edit the post to link the url's

Great rock BTW. (y)

Cheers
Steve

Ooops, My bad. :oops:

I linked to the wrong file size, Then I edited it and linked to the proper size. I am unsure as to why its not working now. the first 2 pics are not showing up for some reason. Is there a limit to the size or number of photos you can have in one post?
Zero

Apparently I must have received the last of the batch, as my rock looks like "live rubble" compared to yours. I emailed the company, as this is ridiculous.

NightSpirit said:
Apparently I must have received the last of the batch, as my rock looks like "live rubble" compared to yours. I emailed the company, as this is ridiculous.

Feel free to send them my pictures along with copys of yours and ask them if they consider it equal product. Did you happen to get pictures of yours yet?

Of the three boxes i got, I would say 90#'s out of the 120 were in pieces larger than 8 inches. and about 20% of that was larger than 12

I hope this helps you out some, and keep us informed on your issue.

Zero

TriggerHappy said:
right click on the image, copy the properties, and paste into a browser address bar, that worked for me. Rock looks good!

Thanks. I was just wondering if I was doing something wrong as alot of people seem to post them within the body of the message, I figured I was just borderline retarded :D

I agree that the rocks look good, however I agree with what Nightspirit said, Arranging them is gonna be... Different. They are very tall and flat, not normal rock shaped, I guess I can figure something out, but i am gonna wait till the rest of the milk settles out of my tank :lol:

I got a response. I don't think they even read the whole email,
it appears they just sent a generic response. My whole
email was about how the pieces were very small and
a good portion of it was rubble. Nowhere did I mention the
"life" of the rock.

Here is their response:

We apologize that the rock you received did not have the life on it as you friend's rock did. This rock does have to be cured before it is added into the tank, and during this process a lot of the life that is on the rocks can be lost. Once the curing process is done, and the rock is added into the tank you should be able to see a lot of the coraline algae return on the rocks. It will take some time, and the correct water conditions for this to happen, but you will see this life return. The amount of life that comes on the rocks will depend on what we are able to harvest from the wild. So it may not be that you received the last of the rock, but this rock does not have the same life on it. As long as this rock is cured, and then added into your tank you should see a lot of this coraline algae return to the rocks.

Duh, I already knew this.

Try calling them. People are allways alot more likely to blow you off in E-mail then over the phone I have found.
Zero

CountZero said:
Is there a reason I cant see the pictures when I view this page? Can anyone else?
Zero

Geocities does not allow hotlinking (ie linking the image's from websites other than the website teh files are stored on). Thus the only way to see them is how Triggerhappy described.

fishfreek said:
Geocities does not allow hotlinking (ie linking the image's from websites other than the website teh files are stored on). Thus the only way to see them is how Triggerhappy described.

Ahh, I did not know that. Anyone know a good site for free web storage that allows hotlinking?
Zero

I dont know of any free sites that allow hotlinking but remember you have a 1mb quota to upload photos here in the forums as well as a 1mb quota in the photo gallery.

opps. I see your an alumni so that would give you a 4mb quota for the forums and a 4mb quota in the photo gallery. Thusyou could upload the photos here. Remember the file size limit for photos uploaded to the forums is 100KB and the file size limit in the photo gallery is 250kb.

Once the curing process is done, and the rock is added into the tank you should be able to see a lot of the coraline algae return on the rocks. It will take some time, and the correct water conditions for this to happen, but you will see this life return.

wow, so coralline is their description of "live rock"? Didnt know coralline was used as the basis for live rock. Sounds like a bunk place to me.

Back
Top Bottom