Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

For the most part petcos tanks are not established more like holding tanks.. their rock is also diffrent then most "lr" as like stated already I believe its just lava rock or other types that are similar sold as lr just for the bacteria and nothing else. You don't need any live rock to start a sw tank but imo the best way to do it is build your scape out of baserock and then add one or two nice pieces of live rock and in a few months it'll all look the same. Usually the more pourous the rock the more hitchhikers you'll fine too as they have more hiding spots but don't underestimate all those little critters lol.. some people will go years without adding anything and one day something just "pops up" haha.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4127john View Post
I have base rock in my tank but i don't add additives to my tank so no purple rock
You will get coralline to spread from adding some pieces with it but holy cow it does take a while! LOL!

Old 12-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkh View Post
You can cure the rocks in a bucket with a heater essentially, from what I have read at least (new to this stuff, so others opinions much appreciated as well). At 1/3 the price - this would be a good motivator, for me at least, to find a way to re-cure the rock yourself. Niki is correct by the way, just use 40% live or so to seed, or if you are more patient, you could go with less even. Good luck!
<----tried this as an "experiment" ONE TIME and will never do it again! LOL! It was a horrid experiment! It was a lot of work changing the water out and testing it and I used uncured live rock that smelled like DEATH and rott! Go with base rock! LOL!
Old 12-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #14
Tkh
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Lol, thank you for saving me the headache and embarrasment of that Nikki! Deathly smell, eh... Whew, not sure my tiny apartment would have enjoyed that at all... Or my neighbors for that matter...
Old 12-18-2012, 11:58 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

I got some from bulk reef supply and then a little live rock from my lfs. I hear the other(dry rock)will be live in no time and for a lot less money. You can check on here there is usually someone doing a group buy, can save you some money. You will need the saved money... this is an expensive hobby. Good luck!
Old 12-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkh View Post
Lol, thank you for saving me the headache and embarrasment of that Nikki! Deathly smell, eh... Whew, not sure my tiny apartment would have enjoyed that at all... Or my neighbors for that matter...
Haha! You're welcome! Lot's of people do it but OMG...it's just NOT the best experience! My next experiment is to try and make my own base rock! Heard it was pretty easy and I've been reading up on "how to". I need another 40-50 lbs of rock and I think this can save me a ton of money.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniewoodruff View Post
I got some from bulk reef supply and then a little live rock from my lfs. I hear the other(dry rock)will be live in no time and for a lot less money. You can check on here there is usually someone doing a group buy, can save you some money. You will need the saved money... this is an expensive hobby. Good luck!
+1...all your rock will become live rock after a few months. Also, (this is an opinion) don't waste money on "live sand". That will become "live" as well. Just stick to the dry aragonite and you should be money!

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com