Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Live rock has varely any life

I I bought live rock from petco about two months ago. But I was wondering when live rock starts to show more life. I had Copepods and that's it. Now the pods are gone.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The stuff I see at Petco usually looks pretty plain to me. Almost looks like the rounded up some lava rock, threw it in their tanks and upped the price. Im not sure that will ever have much going on. The stuff at my LFS usually looks totally different. Coralline growing all over and sometimes you can see other stuff (critters, sponges, anemones, etc).

Years ago, I had a reef and it seemed like new stuff was popping up all the time, even months later. I always bought pieces that looked like they had lots already on them.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

There's a lot of different kinds of live rock. Florida Maricultre usually has tons of growth all over it that is visible. Much of what makes rock "live" is not really seen.

Usually, the heavily grown rock with lots of macro algaes and even small corals come at a higher price. It might be easier on the wallet if you get a bunch of base rock like Marco rock, then throw in some choice pieces of the premium stuff to seed and spread the visible life. Otherwise, you might be disappointed in expecting something that will never come on Petco Live Rock- I think it might be Fiji that they sell.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

i got cured fiji rock, although a lt of die off from 5 day shipping probably

after 3 months i notice a lot of anemones, sponges, weird colors on rock. All of it is white in color mainly, cept a red polyp and possibly a black polyp. I also had a bristle worm in my first week but havent seen it since, prob either dead or living under my rocks
Old 12-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm gonna try to buy three pounds of live rock from lfs. 10.00 per pound
Old 12-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
Tkh
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ouch, that's pricey! Have you considered some of the online options? I was recommended bulkreefsupply.com in another thread (3-4 / lb) and i was looking at another online option that farmed their own off the coast of Florida (environmentally concious option which appealed to me) at a similar cost, but the bookmark is on my home computer.

At $10 / lb, I would just recommend looking at your other options before paying that much! Good luck eithier way!
Old 12-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thing is is that I don't equipment to filter out the die off from rock if I order online
Old 12-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4127john View Post
Thing is is that I don't equipment to filter out the die off from rock if I order online
Buy a few pounds of live rock and add base rock (dry rock) as the remainder. Over a few months bacteria will grow and spread to the base rock as well and it all becomes "live rock". It's cheaper and you will have no die off.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
Tkh
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

You can cure the rocks in a bucket with a heater essentially, from what I have read at least (new to this stuff, so others opinions much appreciated as well). At 1/3 the price - this would be a good motivator, for me at least, to find a way to re-cure the rock yourself. Niki is correct by the way, just use 40% live or so to seed, or if you are more patient, you could go with less even. Good luck!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have base rock in my tank but i don't add additives to my tank so no purple rock

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com