Live rock help please?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandon K.A

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an uncycled 29 gallon saltwater tank. (It used to be freshwater). I bought 21lbs of live rock from my LFS that sells Molokai Live Rock at $7/lb. I noticed it has all this fuzzy stuff on it etc. and smells like ocean. Am I supposed to cure this or would it help cycle my tank? The LFS has it posted as Cultured Molokai Live rock? not sure if there is a diff. I kept it in my tank for now, but what should I do?

29 gallon
2 filters, one 40-50 HOB, and Fluval 206 canister
I also dosed with stability and prime
SG of 1.021

You can throw it in there but you might get ammonia and nitrites spike. But it should be ok considering there are no live fish or invertebrates in there

My fish guy told me it was a bad idea to put anything in the tank! He said wait for 3-4 weeks let the bacteria build up, I ask him about the Live Rock if I could he said no! Remember Live Rock isn't its name for nothing! It as all kind of critters living in it, they will all die!

You are fine to add the rock. There will most likely be some die off anyways. Better to do it now and cycle it without any livestock than to wait and add it later after you have cycled the tank and add livestock. If you add it then it may cause a mini cycle again. Other thing you can do is cure the live rock in another place (tank, bucket, etc with a heater) with regular water changes and protein skimming.

Back
Top Bottom