Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Live rock help? Where to buy?

Hello all,

I am starting out a 40 galling tsaltwater tank and want to k ow where a good cheap place is to buy live rock?

My local aquarium charges 6$ per pound and it does not look all that pretty. I have seen websites online selling for about 4-5$ per pound and ship to your door.

Any suggestions? I am of course looking for what everyone wants - beautiful color and growth on it

Thanks!

Old 01-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
MarcoRocks Aquarium Products - Dry Rock

the beautiful color and growth will come. Most of that stuff dies off through the cycle anyway.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Reefrocks.net looks like the place to buy it

50# box shipped to your door is only like 86.00$ I emailed them and asked if they leach phosphates and if it has to be cured. They replied" our rock is phosphate free and there is no curing necessary, from the box to your tank"

I recommend at least rinsing it In fresh ro water
Old 01-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you!

On the same site they sell 30lbs of sand for 15$

http://reefrocks.net/index.php?page=...emart&Itemid=1

Is this sand safe for aquariums?
Old 01-27-2013, 12:18 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I emailed them and they responded same day.

I'm sure the sand is aquarium same though. Bit if you have any questions you can email them or call them
Old 01-27-2013, 12:46 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I ordered from bulk reef supply during a group buy, it's dry rock, I added some live rock from my LFS and it is all live in no time. Very good price and very nice pieces in the box.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't think that is live rock, that is base rock. That means you will have to buy some live rock to seed the base rock and that can take months. I got 50 pounds for around $250 at my LFS. Most LFS will go down to $4.99 a pound when you buy 50 pounds or more of live rock.

The reason why you get free shipping for anything over 30 pounds with "reefrocks" is because the rock is not cured or live therefore there is really no special packaging they need to do. When you buy live rock they put it into a special box which is like a foam cooler and then overnight it to your house. This can cost a lot of money making the rock just as much as if you had bought it from the LFS, plus the rock is not cured meaning you will have to cure it before putting it in your tank. This would be ok if your starting a new tank as the die off will get your cycle started.

There is really no way around it, I would get 30 pounds of the base rock from "reefrocks" because that is a good price. Most LFS sale that for $2.99 per pound! I would than get at least 10 or 20 pounds of live rock from the LFS and use it to seed the base rock. There is no way round buying live rock. It's expensive no matter what. :-/
Old 01-27-2013, 01:41 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Nothing you get through the mail is "live rock". you don't need to buy rock to seed rock. All rock becomes live over time. With or without live rock present.
Everything you get through the mail will either have to be dry, or need cycling/curing.

The term "base rock" is used to refer to rock that's not attractive enough to be put on top of the pile. Therefore, you use it as a base for the sharper looking pieces. it has nothing to do with curing, or critters, or anything else.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Nothing you get through the mail is "live rock". you don't need to buy rock to seed rock. All rock becomes live over time. With or without live rock present.
Everything you get through the mail will either have to be dry, or need cycling/curing.

The term "base rock" is used to refer to rock that's not attractive enough to be put on top of the pile. Therefore, you use it as a base for the sharper looking pieces. it has nothing to do with curing, or critters, or anything else.
+10^. I agree
Old 01-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mr_X

Than what is this stuff?

Live Rock and Live Sand: Live Saltwater Aquarium Rock and Sand ?

This comes packed in a box that's like a cooler, it's shipped to you wet and not dry. They ship it overnight to your house. It's live rock, but like you said it needs to be cured. You can throw it in the tank uncured to get the cycle going, being it's just stuff dying off the rock. It's also more expensive than base rock. They even sale fully cured live rock on the website.

While I agree that all rock becomes live overtime, that does not mean you can buy nothing but uncured rock that has no life on it and expect it to be live before the tank is cycled. The method of buying cheaper rock and a few pieces of live rock to seed the dry rock is used all the time.

I guess I used the wrong word when I said base rock, I should have said dry rock. It's still cheaper than buying live rock and can be seeded over time.

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com