Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-16-2005, 07:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
live rock in canal

I had a FOWLR set up in a 55 gallon tank until hurricane Charley decided to devastate charlotte county. The tank was destroyed and the live rock was tossed into the saltwater canal behind my house. I have started to set up a 90 gallon tank and was wondering if I would be able to use the rock that was thrown into the canal? If so should I let it sit in the sun for several days due to contamination? Or should I place it into my tank without worries? It is a SW canal by the way and the rock has been in there for 5 months. TIA

unagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 08:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
I wonder if the harvesting of the rock would be illegal even though you placed it there?

If you let it sit out, it would no longer be live for sure.

Bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 08:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
why not set it up in a bare bottom tank for a while, do some water tests and see if anything bad happens?
75 gal
4x65w PC
AquaC Remora Pro
140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
bound_for_obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 10:36 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I would think that the canal would be quite polluted from boats, gas, oil, storm water runoff etc.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com