live rock information needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmac

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello,
currently i have a 55 gal that has recently completed its cycle. i have a skimmer,magum350 filter and a wet/dry filter running. for lighting i have
one 48 inch power-glo. today i went to the lfs to inquire about lr and was
told that lr is a big problem and that the expense would be very high to
maintain. he also explained that lr would limit the number of fish i could keep. (currently i have the three original damsels and three hermit crabs). the bottom line to all this is he talked me out of lr. is lr that hard to keep and what problems could arise from lr. also please list any positives about lr.

thanks for taking time to read and respond
tom

The only way I could think LR could limit the fish, is by the amount of water that LR displaces. I guess the fish don't have as much room to swim. But even that is ridiculous.

LR is not hard to keep at all. Just need to give it some light (NO is even fine), do regular water changes (which one should do even without LR), and it will flourish.

Right now, if you order from www.liveaquaria.com, their LR is pretty cheap. 45# for 98.99 plus shipping. It would probably be around $150 total. Pretty darn cheap for that much rock.

Sounds like to me that this guy has no clue about LR...

Live rock is an excellent way to add filtration capcaity to your system as well as give your system an overall natural apperance. As far as care as biggen said its not hard to care for at all. In fact you dont need to do anything to care for it other than provide decent quality saltwater and some form of light to nurish the photosynthetic orginisims living on the rock surface. WIthin the rock there are worms and crustations that will find their own food.

About the only problems that will arise with live rock is if you dont cycle it first before putting it in the tank or introducing fish to a tank with live rock.

I would say for any negitive toward live rock there are at least 10 positives.

Back
Top Bottom