live rock lifespan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mak1969

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How long of a life span does live rock have in a fish only tank? I do not have the lights for coral. I ask because I got a red scooter bleeny for Christmas and am concerned if he is finding anything to eat. He does pick at the rocks.

LR can be "live" for as long as conditions keep it alive.

I have not owned a Scooter in a while, however they are very similar to the dragonet fish the mandarin as their main food supply source is pods.

If your tank is not fully establsihed 1 yr+ or with a thriving fuge and pod population, you may want to consider taking him back.

I see you only have a 29 gal which makes it even harder without a big tank with a lot of LR>

I made the same mistake! I got a scooter and had to take him back because their was not any copods...they will pick at the rock but will eventually die...

The Synchiropus sp. dragonet is difficult to keep alive, as Tom said, because they require constant feeding of microfauna (pods) and possibly small meaty foods, frozen, or brine.

When you see them picking at the rock they are foraging(spelling?) for food even if there is none.

It is not that you do not have pods it is that in that size tank with no fuge the blenny will exterminate them quickly.

Remember, "live" really means live with the nitrifying bacteria, the critters are, simply, a bonus.

mak1969 said:
Okay stupid question. What do you mean by fuge.
Not a stupid question at all! A fuge us used for extra water volume, you can cultivate pods there or keep algae/clean up crew/small fish (depending on the size of the fuge) in there, to reduce waste/nitrAtes, a sump or UV sterelizer...lots of possibilities there.

mak1969 said:
How long of a life span does live rock have in a fish only tank? I do not have the lights for coral. I ask because I got a red scooter bleeny for Christmas and am concerned if he is finding anything to eat. He does pick at the rocks.

im not sure but i think that your referring to pods? or the acctual rock becuase pods have a pretty long life time along with everything esle and will continue to repopulate the rock as long as the bleeny doesnt over eat the supply on the rocks. i wouldnt keep anything requiring pods in anything in a tank with less the 75-100lbs of live rock in a established over 6month old tank, to keep the fish alive is going to cost a ton of money for pods.

Back
Top Bottom