Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-15-2003, 12:43 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to otrovago
I've been out just about every day looking for rocks, just haven't found the ones I want, 2 of the lfs told to check friday, hopefully I'll find some more so I can get them all inthere. So far I have 9 lbs, I was shooting for 20 - 25 lbs don't know if I can fit 30lbs.

As far as the kits I'm looking on the web for prices. The water I purchased at the LFS, for the hood I'm gona stick with what I have for now. I rather spend the money somewhere else. As far as the book I'll look into it, I'm not good with books I'm more of a learn as you do type person.

So far all the live rock has come from the LFS, but I tought that the more dieoff they had the better when youre cycling. At least that's what I gothered so far. The rock has all kind of little worm looking thingis on it, plus a clam (or at least it looks like it), and some feather dusters (I think thats what they are called) very happy with it so far. The rock had dead coral residue or slime areas is that good?

Old 07-15-2003, 01:55 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
Hmm thats odd that you would get feather dusters with live rock......Sounds more like hydroids can you post a pic otrovago? I also would highly question the clam..unless the LFS is not the brightest??? IMO What do these "feather dusters" look like? The coral slime is common from whta i have heard and it will die off and rise ammonia so you will wanna monitor the tank closely! I have also setup anew tank, I wish you the best of luck!

Old 07-15-2003, 11:17 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think the little feather dusters are maybe the really small ones?
Old 07-16-2003, 12:55 AM   #14

They are tiny about a 1/4" but theres at least 7 sofar that I have counted, as far as the clam, well its encrusted into the rock and it opens up and closes, real cool its about 1.5" wide. I'm concern about the dying coral, this will definately delay my cycle right? 8O

Today I went around and purchased a glasstop with a coralife 24" 65 watt fixture that came with a 50/50 light. Nice improvement definately recommen it. The look of the aquarium alone improved 200%, plus all the benefits to the fish and rock.(so I've read) I also drop in another 4lbs of rock and a rio 400 powerhead. Which should give me an additional 150gph of water flow.

I will take a picture of the rock and post it tomorrow. 8)
Old 07-16-2003, 09:43 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

If the live rock you are buying is Florida aquacultured rock you will get many hitchikers including the clams, featherdusters, macro algaes, bristle worms, etc.

Brian
Old 07-16-2003, 10:07 PM   #16

I got PICS

Here are the pictures. There's one of a feather duster(if it is that) and there are several of these around the rock. The other pics are of the clam. I got one shot of it close and than some of when it opened up. Let me know what it is.

Thanks...
Old 07-16-2003, 10:09 PM   #17

clam closed

clam I think?
Old 07-16-2003, 11:22 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
The top one looks to me like palythoa polyps...sometimes called "seamat". The other looks like small feather dusters. Not sure about the clam. I'd have to defer to someone with clam experience there.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:22 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
hmm that rocks man hope it turns out great i wish i would get that lucky when buying LR! Good Luck!
Old 07-17-2003, 11:58 PM   #20

thanks! I got another 4 lbs of TB LR and it has all kind all stuff also... my total is now 18lbs, I'm shooting for 25lbs. will having so much rock in there affect the number or fishes I can put in?

Also can anyone help me out on the clam, is it or not?

Thank you everyone for your opinions and advice, they have been very helpful in getting me through my fist two weeks... !!!

Tags
inverts, light, lighting, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com