Live rock losing color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logixhunter

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So i just started my first saltwater tank reef setup
im using a 20 gallon tank and 10.24 lbs of live rock

i bought the live rock 2 days ago... it had to sit in a bag for 10 hours but i put it into my tank straight away which has started its cycle, salt water, and de chlorifyed... i feel like the color (mainly the purple) is slowly fading away and almost most of the green i saw is pretty much gone... how can i save my algea?

chem specs

nitrate 10ppm/L
nitrite 0ppm/L
alkalinity 300ppm
PH 7.4-7.8
ammonia 0ppm/L

You need calcium to keep the purple(coralline ) algae. Your calcium level should be around 420ppm. With good salt mixes combined with regular pwc's, you probably won't have to add anything. On the other hand, they have additives that help speed up/retain coralline algae like purple up, ionic-b, and other calcium additves, buffers etc..

Wouldn't add anything yet for your cal levels but im wondering what you plan on putting in the tank once done cycling. Looks like your ph is a little low still

i plan on adding a couple perc clowns and a clean up crew within the first couple months after cycling.. but when im finished cycling ill add some soft corals and other plant things ..

and yes the PH is low i did a water change it dropped to 7.2 dont know really what to do ... im pretty sure the PH level is whats killing my coraline off..

I know my PH is connected to carbon.. but i forget if i need more carbon for a higher PH or less... lmk

You will want to test your phos levels too then I have county water here and my readings are pretty high and it caused me problems when I first started out real bad algae problem

Back
Top Bottom