Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2004, 01:29 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to dinotrex
I guess it wouldn't hurt to have live rock AND a filter too right? Now for my next question....... whats the difference with a canister filter and a hang on emperor 400 bio-wheel filter? I can see price is one difference, but don't they serve the same purpose?

Old 02-06-2004, 01:29 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

I guess it wouldn't hurt to have live rock AND a filter too right? Now for my next question....... whats the difference with a canister filter and a hang on emperor 400 bio-wheel filter? I can see price is one difference, but don't they serve the same purpose?

Old 02-10-2004, 11:31 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to nguyen27 Send a message via Yahoo to nguyen27
HOB (Emperor) give you the ease of cleaning/replace media, but bit noise, canister give you more space, you can pack watever (medias) you want in a canister and lots quiet.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:27 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Is live rock hard to maintain? does it grow? Does it compile waste? does it smell?
Old 02-10-2004, 07:40 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Bio wheel Filter has got to be cheaper than maintaining live rock right???
A bio wheel does need occasional adjustment and replacement. Once the rock is in there really is no maintenance or additional cost. An occasion blast with a platic turkey baster is enough to clean it
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 08:39 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can I suggest that you read an article by Ron Shimek on the natural benefits of LR and LS. It goes into detail, on a "laymans" basis, to explain why you want a DSB and LR. We have the condensed version on our site and can provide the link for the full article if your interested. Look on www.reef-aquarium.net under "educational resources" for the article. It should be on the left at the top. I think you will find it very informative and applicable to your question.

Squishy

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 06:59 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Newbie

If I am using a bio wheel on a emp 280 in a 30 hex, how much live rock is it safe to add? or is it one of those, there is never too much..

I keep adding a 2 pound here 2 pounds there, I must have close to 10 to 15 lbs (added another 2 and half yesterday)

I would like all the help I can get with my filtration..
Old 02-11-2004, 09:16 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Generally, the reccomended amount of LR in a tank is 1.5 lbs per gallon. I am just over 2lbs per gallon on my big tank.

In theory you can never add to much. The problem your going to run into is swimming room for your fish. I'm not sure what size tank you have, but you dont want a tang in a 75 that has 2.5lbs per gallon in it. It would be far to crowded for the tang.

Other than that...knock yourself out.

Squishy

Edit: oh...and yes you can definately add both. Infact, the LR will be far more benificial than your Bio wheel could ever hope to be.

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bio, filter, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com