Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2003, 01:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Live Rock Purchase (west coast)

I am about ready to purcahse my live rock online and wanted to know if any of you have experience with any west coast distributors. I live in Northern California and wanted to get the rock as "fresh" as possible. I did look in the retailers section of the forum and found some suggestions but was not sure where they are from. If that even matters. Please help me out if you could

Old 07-18-2003, 01:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
supposed to be some good rock at www.eastcoastclams.com . I bought some nice rock from www.tampabaysaltwater.com. but the aquaculture theres on the oceanfloor and are know for having rock with mantis shrimp in it. which I am still trying to determin if this is whats in my tank. I haven't heard any clicking sounds, but saw his little eyes peeping out of a hole. so I keeping my fingers crossed, and hoping that its something differant.

ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 02:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

So no one from the west coast as far as you know. What is the issues with the mantis shrimp. Remember I am a rookie at this saltwater stuff.
Old 07-18-2003, 02:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Fishlips, I've ordered live rock from www.marinedepotlive.com, they have a special going, the rock was good, but dirty I learned my lesson I should have cleaned it up a bit before putting it in. Marinedepotlive is located in So. California, actually they are in Anaheim near Disneyland. We found at the time it was a good buy we got 45 pounds of live rock for 149 that included shipping, I believe they still have the same deal going. Good luck
Salt4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 02:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
they kill snails, and fish as they swim bye. they wheal these tallons or clas, of theres at something like 10 meters per sec. they can crack a snails shel open, and can also, and have benn known to, break fingers lascerate hands, and shatter aquarium glass. and as I say this I can here clicking. ****! by god wheres he at
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 03:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks, this will be for my intiial setup so if it is dirty it is okay .
Old 07-18-2003, 03:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Fishlips,

Try searching for Live Rock on google. Many(if not most) of the MO dealers of pacific LR are in Cal.

Brian
Old 07-18-2003, 05:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I bought mine from flyingfish express.. .now part of Dr. Fosters & Smith. They have 45lb boxes for $99.00. When I bought mine it was Walt Smith Premium Fiji and I was very pleased with it.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

http://www.aquatictech.com
A friend of mine ordered the Premium Fiji from them. I think he paid $2.20 a lb. It ships from LA (unless you buy cured it ships from Ohio)

Good luck. Let me know if you find anything, I will be about a month behind you. Waiting for my equipment to arrive.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:08 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I think most of the places that offer fiji rock get it from the same fiji exporter. The box's are usually labled "Walt Smit".

www.liveaquaria.com and www.marinedepot.com and www.jeffsexotic.com i belive are all based in CA.

Mantis are usually a problem with east cost rock from FL vs rock from fiji.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com