Live rock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c-bass

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am starting a tank using a ecosystem sump and the instructions for the ecosystem say to introduce cured live rock, minimum of 6 weeks after the first week of setup. The problem is that my lfs won't keep it for that long because they don't have the room. Is there any adverse effects to putting it directly into the tank right away....the tank won't have started it's cycle yet, so how can it be bad? suggestions?

It is probably OK, but just for safety, I would follow the instructions, it's easy enough to leep the LR yourself in a grabage can or rubbermaid tub with some powerheads and a skimmer ;)

Thanks for the reply Kevin. Is the article on curing live rock the best way to go about it. water changes every 2 days? any other quick and effective methods?

lfs lr? is it cured?

if so, i am wondering why would you put in in a garbage can and not right into the tank? cured lr it is one of the best things you can offer a starting tank to ease the cycle, imo, its a biological filter and it will seed the tank...

if so, i am wondering why would you put in in a garbage can and not right into the tank? cured lr it is one of the best things you can offer a starting tank to ease the cycle, imo, its a biological filter and it will seed the tank...

I would imagine that the instructions state that so the bacteria will build up in the mub, that is just a guess.

Is the article on curing live rock the best way to go about it. water changes every 2 days?

I have found that it works well and preserves alot of life on the rock during the curing process. If the LR is already cured from the LFS, you would not need to do the every other day waterchanges ;) Once the rock is cured, you would stop doing the waterchanges, usually takes a couple of weeks with the method outlined in the article, but the amount of time the curing process takes, depends heavily on the amount of die off. The articl is just a guideline, it is how I do it, but you may find something that works better for you, possibly a smaller percentage or less frequent or a combo of both.

Hi again,
I started up my 15gals SW, I'm in the middle of using the Fishless cycle, it been about 4 days now, and I was wonder if I get a few pounds of pre-cured LR, can I place this also in my tank and continue cycle the tank with the LR?
Thanks

Hi again,
I started up my 15gals SW, I'm in the middle of using the Fishless cycle, it been about 4 days now, and I was wonder if I get a few pounds of pre-cured LR, can I place this also in my tank and continue cycle the tank with the LR?

Yes

it will seed your tank and you will cycle much faster and at safer levels, because your adding what it needs, a biological filter

Back
Top Bottom