Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2004, 01:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Live rock question

I have a 125 FOWLR and it has been set up since Dec. I have 2 clowns, 1 wrasse, 1 damsel and 1 blenny. I order 15 lbs of LR from liverocks.com and will be getting it any day. I was told you DO NOT have to cure the rock from them. Has anyone cured theirs at all when they bought it or as I have seen others, just thrown it in the tank? I would assume I could just throw it in the tank since its a 125 and not have an ammonia spike???
Thanks

Old 03-31-2004, 01:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It still needs to be cured. Any rock that is shipped will incur some die off. Now the LR from liverocks.com is some of the best rock you can get and its die off is minimal when compared to others. But it will still have a die off problem and it needs to be taken care of before put in the tank.

Old 03-31-2004, 02:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Agreed.

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 03:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

well I may throw mine into a tank that a friend of mine is cycling right now then. I have read many places on here that there is really no need to cure the rock again. But rather just take some of the water from my tank and drop the rock in there rinse it real good, then it can go in the tank.....guess I will have to acquire a heat, pump and tank to cure it.....
Old 03-31-2004, 03:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I have read many places on here that there is really no need to cure the rock again.
Not sure where you got that advice, but it is incorrect. You will have an ammonia and nitrite spike when you go to place this rock in water. It won't be high, but it will still be there.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

well if it isnt that high of a spike, and I have a 125 tank, I would think it would be less than 0.25 wouldnt you?? In this case, its at 0 right now so I would think it would be tolerable. Wouldnt be anything that the fish could not handle as you get a spike in ammonia when you add a new fish?? Right?
Old 03-31-2004, 04:53 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I personally wouldn't chance it. Your tank is at 0 ammonia right now, and with your fish in there, I would keep it that way. I would cure the new rock in a different container.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
well if it isnt that high of a spike, and I have a 125 tank, I would think it would be less than 0.25 wouldnt you?? In this case, its at 0 right now so I would think it would be tolerable. Wouldnt be anything that the fish could not handle as you get a spike in ammonia when you add a new fish?? Right?
It impossible to tell what the ammonia spike will be. It is possible you could have a sponge attached the rock and not notice it. As it dies it will release a fair amount of ammonia into the water.

If it were me, I wouldn't do it. Remember, in the ocean, ammonia and nitrite don't exist as far as fish and inverts are concerned. Any amount they encounter is toxic to them.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

So would I just get some RO water and drop the rock into a 10-15 gallon tank with a pump and heater then?? For how many days? Also do I use fresh RO saltwater or some from my tank?
Thanks
Old 03-31-2004, 06:22 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

a small amount of ammonia and/or nitrites is like a small amount of arsenic. Its toxic...

Squishy

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com