Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2004, 05:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
Live Rock Question

I am setting up a new tank when I move at the end of the month. Currently it's sitting in my garage with some live rock in it cycling. I bought the live rock online, and put it in a few days ago. As soon as it hit my water, the whole tank turned yellow. It looks like someone pee'd in the tank. I put some Kent's Pro-Clear in the tank to see if it would settle out, but it has not.

What causes this? It doesn't appear to be just junk suspended in the water because it's not settling out. Do I need to change all the water in the tank?

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 07:18 PM   #2
steve-s

It is most likely dissolved organics that where trapped in crevaces in the rock. I would do a good sized water change and run with some carbon for awhile. The carbon should remove a fair amount but you will need to change it a few times.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-31-2004, 08:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What if I were to put a spare protein skimmer in there for a while? Is that likely to help?

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Old 05-31-2004, 09:38 PM   #4
steve-s

Sure but it will just be removed a bit slower. I wouldn't suggest using two skimmers on the same tank if that's what you mean. They will just work against each other depending on type. The carbon will do a much better job.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-01-2004, 12:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm sorry, I really wasn't clear at all about this. Currently the tank is about 1/3 full with two PHs, sand, and rock in it. I was going to take a spare protein skimmer, move the sand away from one corner, and place the skimmer physically IN the tank with the rest of the stuff and let it run. Does that sound like a potential solution?

Old 06-01-2004, 12:16 AM   #6
steve-s

If you filled the tank the rest of the way and used the skimmer as normal it would be a much safer prospect. What you suggest should work, I would just be worried about the skimmer tipping.

Anything that will help filter/remove organics will work.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com