Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-27-2004, 03:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Live rock question!!

When live rock cures is it supposed to smell bad when you receive it? I ordered it online and it said "Cured". What can I do or should I say What should I do? Put it in the tank? Help me out guys.

Newbie[/code][/list]

Old 06-27-2004, 03:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

LR will smell if it is not cured (dieoff). Once it is cured it should have a slight odor (you will no the difference).

Is you tanked still cycling. If yes and there are no fish you can put in in you tank to help move you cycle along. If there are fish. put it in some buckets with powerheads and a heater. Do large water changes until your amonia levels and nitrite leves are at 0 then you can add it to your tanks.

Old 06-27-2004, 04:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ive had my tank going for about a month and a half. Has fish in there already. Is there a way to speedup the die off? My friend said to use bleach. I dont know if he is correct. Thx CBR for your input.
Old 06-27-2004, 04:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

no!!! don't use bleach that will destroy all of the good stuff coline and such... You can use a toothbrush to get the dark dead looking spots off and do big water changes that should getting going pretty fast. BTW were did you get the rock. Was it LR.com?

BTW I just added an additional 30#ish to my 90 which already had a 100#. I still spiked my ammonia to .25. Now I am worried that I might lose my tang and some of my corals. So I would let it cure. The only reason that I didn't let mine cure is because it smelled fine. Just like the ocean, but there must of been some dieoff. plus I got a mantis shrimp with the rock ugh...
Old 06-27-2004, 06:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmm bleach to cure live rock... I guess killing it would "cure" it of life.

You can't rush the process.. until the very last bit of die-off is taken care of and you're absolutely sure the amm levels are zero you can't add that rock to your tank or your fish will suffer, and possibly even die.

Use the method CBRGuy suggested, and make sure to do daily 100% water changes if there's critters to preserve.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 07:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thx guys for your help. Im glad I found this forum to help me out. You guys are awesome. Aloha from Hawaii.

Old 06-28-2004, 02:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just found a couple of fire worms in my LR. I measured it at almost 1 1/2 inches. Ugly little thing. I removed him. No mantis shrimps but are those worms that bury themselves in the rock safe? Not the fire worm but they have small lines on them and only stick their heads out.

Quote:
BTW were did you get the rock. Was it LR.com?
I got it off Ebay. Its About 20#.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've got 10lbs curing in my QT tank (main tank not runnign yet)
I thought it would smell worse than it actually does...but then again I think after a week already most of the die off has occurred.

I haven't seen any live critters...but this is all reef rock from an LFS in a land locked state..
Hoping my keys rock from LR.com will have some goodies
Old 06-28-2004, 11:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My friend who works at a marine aquarium store says that you should put them into some styrafome boxes, sealed, outside for a fortnight in water, and then hold you breath whilst you open it.
flanque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 04:10 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

When you get lr from anywhere but directly from the ocean to your tank there will be die off and the curing process needs to be done and it takes time. You can't rush it or you will spend more time and money trying to remedy what could have been prevented..... Use a large clean rubbermaid container with a power head and proper sg and no lights....do water changes and the smell will go away in about two weeks, Then the rock will be cured when no smell and no ammonia levels. Shake off the rock and use a tooth brush over the rock to clean off any dt.

50 gallon saltwater fish only...1 mated pair yellowtail damsels, neon dottyback, tomato clown, huma trigger, lemonpeel angel, 12 stripe wrase, bi-color blenny, dozen or so hermit crabs-scarlet and mexican, cerith snails, turbo snails, orange linkia starfish, 50 plus pounds of purple-pink coraline encrusted rock and a few mushrooms.

Redsea prism protein skimmer, 404 Fluval, UGF with two 201 powerheads.

7 gallon tank with 6 pounds of live rock and countless brittlestars, 5 hermit crabs, snails and 1 False Percula Clown fish and Camel Back Dancing shrimp
1neondottyback is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com