Live Rock Question / Poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

divemasterjim

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all, I am about to turn my all fish tank into a reef tank, so I need to buy live rock.
I have done a little research but wanted your opinions. There are so many places to buy from and so many types of rock to buy I just need a little help.

1. Cured or uncured ? keeping in mind even cured rock may have to be cured again due to shipping

2. What kind of Rock should I buy ? I want the best colors and prettiest rock, what size ? and do I get base rock? hand picked rock?

Fiji
Lalo
Tonga
Marshall Island
Florida Keys
Gulf of Mexico
Kaelini
Melanesian
Caribbean
Nambu
All rocks I have found, if I missed any please add to list

3. How much should I buy ? I have a 60 gallon acrylic tank 20”H 48”L 16”D
I have heard any where from ¾ to 2 pounds per gallon depending on the rock, so if I get 60 pounds will it take up all the room in my tank ?

4. Where should I buy from ? I think my LFS is way to expensive everything in there cost double what I see online. So I would most likely buy online.

All input is welcome thank you

I have had Tonga Branch Rock and I didn't like it at all. I switched to Liverocks.com LR and I love it. It is purple and Orange VERY nice. Some of the rock are a bit big for my tank, but when I upgrade to a 90 it's going to look awesome. There was a ton of life on the rock, which some people don't like, but I think it is one of the coolest things. I put 100# in my 55 and Think I need just a little bit more(some smaller pieces to make shelves for my future corals)

I have attached what they look like. This was the day after I got them

Yep, It's the keys rock. 100# will look nice in a 60. Check the liverocks.com forum I think zack is making a run for some fresh rock.

I have a mix of 70lbs of Keys rock from liverocks.com and 30lbs of Fiji from my LFS in my 120gal. I should be in the market for about 50lbs more soon and probably will go back to liverocks.com.

Rich

I just got my 2nd order from lr.com, will be going back after more. If you want ot add diverisity get a little sand from lr.com also. I got 20 lbs yesterday. It's great looking sand.

Dont pay extra for cured rock if your getting it online. As you already realize the rock will have come dieoff from shipping. Cured rock will often have fewer hitchikers on it aswell. Regardless if the rock is labled cured or uncured plan to cure it once it arrives.

For your size tank shoot for 60-75lbs of rock. The FL and carabian rock is more desnse than fiji. Get teh rock you like the best. Each has their own unque items. The tonga branch can give some good shape contrast between teh fiji or aquacultured rock. The Fiji rock usually has great corline growth on it and the aquaculture rock cant be beat for its amount of hitchhikers and the degree of 'freshness' when it arrives.

Back
Top Bottom