Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Live Rock/Sand

Just bought my first tank, 75 gal. and was just going to have fish but after reading many forums I see most people put live rock and sand in with the fish. I bought my tank from a pet store chain and the sales person told me to stay away from live sand and rock. Could someone tell me what the advantages and disadvantages are? Thanks for any help.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

If this is a SW tank then sand and LR should very much be used. LR is good for housing the nitrifying bacteria that resides on surfaces like the LR and sand. That nitrifying bacteria is what converts ammonia to nitrites and nitrites to nitrates thus called the cycle. It also serves as hiding places and homes to the various fish you`ll have. Make sure you read our SW article on cycling. It will give you some good info. BTW welcome to AA.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Welcome the AA. Ask questions here before going the the LFS. The answers you get here are based on first hand knowledge. The people here will help you with buying the products that you need and not the unneeded products that are paying the rent for the store you are shopping in.
" I bought my tank from a pet store chain and the sales person told me to stay away from live sand and rock."
I say stay away from this store if at all possible. If it is the only shop close by then arm yourself with knowledge before going back.
Nice size tank to start with!

110 Gallon FOWLR, 25 Gallon sump/refugium.
Raimond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:26 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystair13 View Post
...chain and the sales person told me to stay away from live sand and rock. Could someone tell me what the advantages and disadvantages are? ...
Disadvantages? I can't really think of any. I really don't know why someone would steer you away from live rock. "Live" sand is a waste of money, in my opinion. It will all become "live" in time. But sand as a substrate is a good thing. Some folks may steer you away from a sand bed and recommend a "bare bottom" tank. The thinking there is that it is easier to siphon off uneaten food and debris from the bottom of the tank if it's bare. That's true, but it's just a matter of personal taste. If you like the look of a sand bed, then a suitable cleanup crew (nassarius snails, a few hermits, etc) to keep the sand bed turned and clean will keep it healthy.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I will go with a FOWLR tank.

Tags
live, live rock, rock, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com