Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-03-2004, 02:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to stnmtn01
Live Rock set up...

Is it ok to lay the live rock on the substrate (sand and crushed corals) or must you set it up to so called aquascaping? (live rock sitting on top of some sort of 1-2" of pvc piping) I've seen alot of tanks that look like the rock is sitting on the bottom....

Old 03-03-2004, 02:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Is it ok to lay the live rock on the substrate (sand and crushed corals) or must you set it up to so called aquascaping? (live rock sitting on top of some sort of 1-2" of pvc piping) I've seen alot of tanks that look like the rock is sitting on the bottom....

You can push the LR into the sand a few inches. That will give it stability. I used PVC in my setup and placed the LR on top of that, but I think if I did it again, I would just lay the LR on the sand like I described. A heck of a lot easier to do than to have to cut, wash, and glue several pieces of PVC.

You can't even tell my LR is laying on the PVC except for one piece. The rock doesn't cover the pipe totally. Other than that one, they all give the appearance that they are resting on the sand.

Old 03-03-2004, 04:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I used PVC in my setup and placed the LR on top of that,
I assume this is just for stability, right? If I lay the base rock down on the acrylic and then put the LS around it, I think that would do the same, right?
Old 03-03-2004, 04:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I assume this is just for stability, right? If I lay the base rock down on the acrylic and then put the LS around it, I think that would do the same, right
Sure, that would be fine. You could even put the sand in first and then push the LR down into the sand a few inches...
Old 03-06-2004, 10:50 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nodoubt471
i would suggest putting the live rock directly on the base of the aquarium, and maybe even securing it with a little aquarium safe glue- you dont want any mini-avalanches in your tank! its always better to be safe than sorry.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:39 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to Wally
I totally agree with Kate. When I first started I would have not agreed but.....after sett up my 55 gal with the LR on top of the sand bed and having some fish and inverts tunnel underneath it....I thought the lfs owner was crazy when he told me to put the rocks directly on the glass before I added the substrate. I didn't want to cover up that expensive rock.

IF I started all over again (or rather when lol) Ill get inexpensive lace rock and place it right on the aquarium bottom surface then add substrate then add the live rock on top of that and be able to see it better and not have to worry about it falling over.

The more I learn the less I know
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 01:18 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I bury my first row of rocks down several inches into my sand bed. Had I just sat the rock on the top my pistol shrimp would have totally destroyed my tank by now.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 01:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to Wally
Are not Psitol Shrimp the tiny ones that only grow to 1 inch?

The more I learn the less I know
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live, live rock, rock, set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com