Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-08-2003, 10:34 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

critters

Not really looking for anything but just want to make sure not to put something bad in the tank. I have a dog puffer and want to add a porcupine puffer so I am not really sure if the good critters would really last ...

The fish are not in the tank yet btw. They are waiting patiently ...

Old 10-08-2003, 10:44 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Ok. Please update us when you get your rock.

Depending on the amount of dieoff and how agressive you are with removing the dead/decaying items from the rock during the process cycling could take anywhere between 2-8 weeks.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 11:15 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

You lit a fire under me to order some more LR myself. Just grabbed 22# off liveaquaria.com. I know I said I wanted uncured rock, but I had such good experiences with Liveaquaria, I figure I couldn't go wrong. Should get in in tomorrow. Guess I better start making up some water for it to cure in.

Oh, and like FF said, it may take 2-8 weeks to cycle. But like I said earlier, my tank cycled in 4 days straight. I had my first fish in the tank within 7 days. It was one helluva cycle time. I don't know if you will get the same results or not. Just make sure you check the levels daily.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:02 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, I hope it does not take 2-8 weeks. I am surprised it has not done much yet. Will adding live sand cause a big spike too? We would like to seed the sand so if it causes a spike too I better get some of that soon too. Less cycles the better.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:21 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Will adding live sand cause a big spike too? We would like to seed the sand so if it causes a spike too I better get some of that soon too. Less cycles the better.
You could add the LS anytime you wanted. The bacteria from the LS would help "seed" the rest of your sand and rock.

I don't know if any of the critters in the LS would survive the cycle though. But you could always re-seed again.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:31 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

The question would be though to add the LS now or wait until the LR and tank have completed its cycle? I would only put the LS in to seed the sand I have. I don't want to reseed the LS I killed to seed my current sand

I had read that LR can seed your sand but would the fiji rock do this?
Old 10-09-2003, 12:52 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I got my rock today. All I can say is that I am very pleased. The rock had a lot of color on it as well as some dead stuff. My pieces were medium to large IMO but my tank is on 75 gal so that my differ. Some pieces I might say are too big. I got 9 pieces of rock with 1 small, 2 medium and the rest large. The box weighed in at 45lbs with one small piece removed.

Sice my tank is still cycling, I rinsed in in premade salt water and placed it in the tank. The acclimation instructions say to do this along with 50% water changes weekly and no light. Since I am cycling the tank are water changes really necessary?

BTW, I read their live sand acclimation procedures and they say to rinse the sand in saltwater first and then remove the dirty water. I assume this removes the dead material but is the sand still have the organisms after this?
Old 10-09-2003, 01:52 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Sice my tank is still cycling, I rinsed in in premade salt water and placed it in the tank. The acclimation instructions say to do this along with 50% water changes weekly and no light. Since I am cycling the tank are water changes really necessary?
Yes. Head over to here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...aq=2&fldAuto=6 . I did the exact same procedure as that aritcle outlined; 50% every other day. The tank will cycle faster and you will have less die off.

Quote:
BTW, I read their live sand acclimation procedures and they say to rinse the sand in saltwater first and then remove the dirty water. I assume this removes the dead material but is the sand still have the organisms after this?
Good question. Not really sure on the LS. It would still have bacteria on it, but not sure about the critters. Someone else better take that one.
Old 10-09-2003, 03:42 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I myself have never rinsed live sand I got shipped to me. I would be worried the rinsing would knock off some of the critters.

The reasoing behind the water changes is to keep the ammonia level to a tolerable point that more of the life on the rock survives the cycle. Not doign water changes on a fair amount of mailorder rock could easily cause your ammonia levels to shoot beyond the detectible range of your test kit basicly making an enviorment that is extremly hostile to life.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 05:57 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

yeah, I just tested the ammonia and it is dark green. I tested 2 days ago and it was yellow. Not sure if it happened after the rock or before. I guess I need a water change ...

Tags
live, live rock, rock, shipment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com