Live Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chromediggity

Aquarium Advice Regular
Picked up some sand at my local fish store and didn't realize it was live sand. Does anyone have any experience with only adding a small portion and saving the rest to be added later? Not sure if there is bacteria in the sand that will die once the bag is opened and the wreak havoc when I add it later?

I`m one of those that does not think that it is live at all by the time you get it. If you were to get it fresh out of someones tank maybe so but it is months sealed in an airtight bag before you get it. I dont see how.

Don't think it would wreak havoc but it won't be live with anything it may have contained before if left open as will dry up I used live sand in my tank but not an expert on how live it is or anything just thought if I could seed it with something that may help I'd give It a go

BTW I dont have a problem giving it a go. Even if it`s not live it soon will be after it cures for a week or two. Good luck with the tank.

I got live sand for my tank at the store, I had not rinsed it and my tank water was so cloudy for a week. Finally it's clean and very clear, but it was bad. I just started saltwater and so good thing there wasn't any fish or coral in there.

I put 60 pounds of live sand in my 29 gallon tank, and it helps keep my water nice along with my live rock. Mine was only cloudy for a few hours, my filter cleared it up fast. I think you should just use the whole bag and don't rinse it off because you will clean all the bacteria off.

Just add a cup over a course of the day so it won't be too cloudy. It will be cloudy thou!! Really cloudy, good luck. :p

Thanks, I put the sand in and it was cloudy, I read online what I was suppose to do later. So it's a lot better, plus I have a 28g tank. So our tanks are close, I have a nano cube tank.

I think in the end the live sand will be beneficial to your tank. :p

To be honest I went overboard with my live rock and sand. I didn't realize how much 50 pounds of live rock and 60 pounds of live sand can fill. :p

Back
Top Bottom