Live Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So deep sand beds are good they just take a really long time to establish?

I plan on putting one power head In. Will that be enough? And should I put it on the bottom or top of the tank?

Gobies like a nice sand bed to borrow in, or swift though to get the small critters that inhabit the sand bed.

The poop is cleaned up mostly by a clean up crew, but you can siphon it out if it accumulates. Also that's why flow in your aquarium is important. If you got a great flow going with power heads, it will keep the poop suspended in the water long enough for your filter to suck it up and out of the aquarium.

Also I might be a little bias, but I don't trust cheap sand. I used this sand and to me two bags is worth the 60 bucks it will cost.

Where did you get it at?

Put two power heads in. One on the left side, and one on the right side. Make sure they are rated for your 90 gallon tank. One will be towards the front of the tank, and one towards the back. Mine is set up as one power head on the front left side of my tank pointing up towards the surface, and another on the back right side of my tank pointing down towards the sand. Creates a circle current around the rocks and does not allow stuff to settle.

Should be able to get any of the sand you want at most pet stores. Got mine from a pet store. You don't need to get the same sand, there is much different looking sand to choose from. Just mine was Fiji pink, but you can get some other color or look you like.

Put two power heads in. One on the left side, and one on the right side. Make sure they are rated for your 90 gallon tank. One will be towards the front of the tank, and one towards the back. Mine is set up as one power head on the front left side of my tank pointing up towards the surface, and another on the back right side of my tank pointing down towards the sand. Creates a circle current around the rocks and does not allow stuff to settle.

Should be able to get any of the sand you want at most pet stores. Got mine from a pet store. You don't need to get the same sand, there is much different looking sand to choose from. Just mine was Fiji pink, but you can get some other color or look you like.

image-3792496748.jpg

That's on the left back so if I put a power head on the right side would that be good circulation?

That's just your return so depending on your pump size it may be adequate. I always shoot for 10-15 times water turnover minimum based on tank size. So in my 180 I have a 1200gph return pushing roughly 700gph with head pressure, two mp10 varying speeds from 200-1500gph and 1 1200 MJ pro circulating pump. So I have minimum 2500gph of flow and then 5400gph at the highest peak. Giving me from 13-30 times water turnover per hour. But I also have a 6ft tank to get flow across. In a 90 I would go for a pair of maxi jet pro 1200 pumps and use the circulation style. Or if you have the money get a pair of mp10es pumps. They are plenty sufficient. Some people don't agree. I've run them for a very long time on a 180 though. They reduce the heat my taking the motor out of the water and just having the impeller and housing in the tank also gets rid of the ugly old pumps in our tanks.

I have a lot of powerheads so if I need to ill add some

Everything has a purpose. I don't like them. They do detract from the tank and can cause issues down the road. DSB are something ill probably never venture into.

2 inches is a good amount. It gives a solid base for your live rock, and room for any diggers to burrow underneath.

Back
Top Bottom