Live sand and Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

landshark

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone know how long it takes to cycle a saltwater tank with these to things ? Plus I used a filter from a cycled tank to move things along...

It took me three weeks for a 29 gallon tank. When I moved it all from my 29 gallon to my 55 gallon it was cycled right away. Thankfully!

It depends on how much die off is on the rock/sand. This must decompose and turn into ammonia, then nitrite, then nitrate.
If the rock is already cycled, and it was not out of water for long, you may completely skip a cycle, and just see a diatom bloom on the new surfaces.

I will say that even though I used live rock and sand, I also put some dead uncooked shrimp in the tank to help the cycle.

After 3 days my ammonia is 0......my nitrites are 0 ......but my nitrates are a tad bit high....I did a 10% water change to help lower my nitrates......thanks for the advice...

Use some ammonia and see if you have a bacteria colony strong enough to process it, before you add livestock thinking the tank is ready.

It has got to be pure ammonia. I think hardware stores sell it. Good luck!

Also if your tank is cycled, take it slow with adding fish. One at a time and let the bacteria build up.

Back
Top Bottom