Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-26-2004, 10:30 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
Originally Posted by Nitrate
If you are going to do a reef tank then gulf rock probably isn’t the right choice. If you are doing a FOWLR then I would highly recommend it.

My nitrates are at their lowest levels in 2 years after only one week. My fish have never been happier because of all the nooks and crannies they have to hide in and my predatory fish love hunting down the crabs and shrimp. There is a lot of aiptasia, but you must take the good with the bad. liverocks.com is true "live" rock.
I will be going reef, so it sounds like keys rock will be the better choice. If it does not have quite as many critters, that's OK. I suppose that decreases the likelihood of getting pests as well as the beneficial ones.

Don't forget to check AA Sponsors first.

saberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 07:03 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just got 120# of the Keys rock delived Fri am. Beautiful, tons of life and coraline, plus many many critters--FYI

jeffw85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 12:29 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular
Originally Posted by CBRGuy
I have read people that do hypsalinty dip or carbonated dips that really didn't work for me. (I tried it with my last 40# of rock) I put the rocks in there the tank after the dip delt with them one at a time. Right now I have a mantis shrimp in my tank that is causing all kinds of problems. It came with 40# that I just got on tuesday. The other 100# did not contain any mantis shrimp And I didn't dip them. I just reached in a pick off the crabs one at a time. They are very easy to catch just scare them out from one side with a net then you can just pick them of
will a freshwater dip cause them to jump off

10 gal fw
1 jack dempsey
1 convict
1 pleco

72 gal bowfront
seaclone 150
4 x 65 watt coralife pc
hagen aquaclear 901 in tank
via aqua 3500 with scwd return from wet/dry
160 lbs live rock
40lbs combination sugarsized sand and crushed coral
1 feather dusters
2 emerald crabs
75 hermits scarlet and blue leg
20 turbo snails
3 large brittle stars
2 toadstools
1 colt coral
3 different zoanthid colonies
1 green finger leather, and cabbage leather
1 green starburst
4 different mushrooms
1 large anemone
2 cleaner shrimp
1 6 line wrasse
2 pajama cardinal
1 rock skipping blenny (very cool if you like sadists)
2 percula clown
1 engineer goby
1 scooter blenny

rockkfish is offline   Reply With Quote

live, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com