livestock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schmilnik

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 46 gallon bow and I have a flame angel, two clownfish, wrasse, and a blue dot puffer. Can I add any more fish?

You are maxed out now ... The puffer eventually will grow quite big , possibly picking on your other fish. They are also very messy eaters that adds a huge dent to your bioload. They will also make snacks out of your clean up crew....HTH

Is it true that because of the size of my tank he will not grow to full length?

That holds some truth but they also will not live as long either due to the stunting of thier organs . However they will usually grow with in an inch or so less than what they do in the wild ,most fish will not grow to full size in captivity .The blue spot puffer should be housed in a tank of a min of 75 gallons and usually grow up to about 6 inches ... They may act agressively to tank mates and are a venmous (or the mucus on the skin is ) poisionous .. These are the fish that the Japanese eat and call it fugu . So do NOT eat him LOL ....They will also slime if agravated or stressed which can kill off tank mates .

Due to their messy nature of eating I usually recommend puffers to be housed in a 75+ gallon tank , this helps to dilute any excess nutrients that are sure to follow these types of fish .

Blue spot puffers are small fish and might get to 5", which I have never seen in an aquarium or LFS.
IMO These fish in the toby family stay small enough go keep in small tanks. And I would not consider them messy eaters, mine sucked in what ever I fed it not making a mess.
Some fish books say there ok in tanks 20 gal and up.

Ya that is what i thought i have never seen a blue spot puffer very big.

Back
Top Bottom