Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-08-2014, 01:15 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

hey, I am in your area. lol I just went to reefers direct a month ago.

You might want to try out top shelf, by far the best in the area. They have everything you could possibly want. And I know the guys personally, they would never sell you something you dont need. But Reefers is good too.

If you want any information about the local reef club just let me know. We meet the 2nd saturday of every month at various local locations.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Regular

Carey... Thanks for the info!!!

I'll look ino Top Shelf. I just saw their website; it looks like a really big place!!! I'm with a migraine right now (trying to ignore it) so I may go over there next weekend. This weekend'so plans to go shopping for the sand, rocks and water may have to wait as well. My head is pounding badly.

I'd like the info on the local reef club as well.

1 blue- green Chromis, 2 bi- colored Chromis, 3 black and white Oscellaris clownfish, 1 orange and white Oscellaris clownfish, 1 Banggai cardinalfish, 11 Turban snails (1 died), 6 hermit crabs, 3 peppermint shrimp, and lots of love....
lgdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:34 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Regular

So now I am confused. I want to get the sand. Should I get the CaribSea Aragonite Aquarium Reef sand or the CaribSea Ocean Direct Caribbean Live Aquarium Sand? From what I understand, one has live organisms and one doesn't. I also understand that the live one will help cycle my tank quicker and can have unwanted hitchhikers but the non- live one eventually becomes live and should not have any hitchhikers, only twigs and junk that I may need to sift out.... HELP!!!
1 blue- green Chromis, 2 bi- colored Chromis, 3 black and white Oscellaris clownfish, 1 orange and white Oscellaris clownfish, 1 Banggai cardinalfish, 11 Turban snails (1 died), 6 hermit crabs, 3 peppermint shrimp, and lots of love....
Old 10-13-2014, 06:45 PM   #34
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

get the one that don't 1/2 the time they say the other has live stuff in it but its always dead cause it sits on shelf for god who knows not worth spending the extra money
i just use pool filter sand
Old 10-13-2014, 06:54 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
get the one that don't 1/2 the time they say the other has live stuff in it but its always dead cause it sits on shelf for god who knows not worth spending the extra money
i just use pool filter sand
That's what I thought! I'd like to introduce my own organisms and not be unpleasantly surprised.... Plus it IS cheaper! Right now I can order a 40- gal bag for $26.99.... Hey- do you think I should do one bag or two?
Old 10-13-2014, 07:41 PM   #36
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

1 40lb bag is plenty you'll have about 1 inch of sand above the black band making it about 1 1/2 inch deep plenty , wow $27.00
thats why i always use play sand or pool filter sand only like $6.00
Old 10-13-2014, 08:12 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
1 40lb bag is plenty you'll have about 1 inch of sand above the black band making it about 1 1/2 inch deep plenty , wow $27.00
thats why i always use play sand or pool filter sand only like $6.00
So I found some pool sand with great ratings and others have used it in their aquariums . If I buy the 50 lb bag and I use all of it, how deep a bed will it leave? I'm curious; that's one of the things my hubby actually wants- a nice, deep bed!
Old 10-13-2014, 08:29 PM   #38
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

add your rock first than sand and go from there see how it looks its easy to add more more a pain taking it back out 30 lbs would probably cover the tank remember
its what you like i like around inch to inch and a half some like it deeper
remember the more sand more likely fish will kick it up
i also like sloping sand bed high out front lower towards the rock
Old 10-13-2014, 08:36 PM   #39
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

the deeper the sand harder it is keeping it clean imo
Old 10-13-2014, 08:43 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for all of the info, 54seaweed!!! I really appreciate it. Sometime this week, I'm going to visit Home Depot as well as Pinch-a-Penny, our local pool shop, and see what I come up with. I'm liking the idea of getting sand that needs little to no rinsing; I'll keep you posted!

Do you have any suggestions on the minimum amount of rock I should have in my FOWLR?

Tags
aquarium, bow front, fowlr, intro

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com