Long Nose butterfly fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madstyle1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone, im alittle bit concern about my latest addition. I recently purchased a long nose butterfly but my yellow tang keeps chasing it and bum rushing it. it doesnt seem like its nipping at it i feel bad for the guy, dont wanna stress him out. i checked the compatibility chart and it said it was good. they are both fairly small. its in a 60 gallon live rock only. Thanks, im afraid i might have to take him back? please advise.

Yellow tangs can be quite fiesty. I would suggest you turn off the lights. That will cause the aggression to cease for the most part. That will work for tonite. Tomorrow you might need to move some LR around to throw the yellow tang off. If he still does it tomorrow continue to turn off the light.

You can try moving the rocks around so they have to re-establish their territories. You can also take the yellow tang out and put him in qt for a week or so and let the butterfly get settled in and then put the yellow back in so that he is the new guy in town again. In the end you may not have enough space for the two of them to be happy. If you are going to take one back i would strongly suggest the yellow tang because its going to get big and 60gal will be to small for it. Most tangs like larger 6' long tanks because they are such active swimmers and like the extra length and space.

ok thanks i will turn light off to settle in, for the most part hes not it as much as he was when the butterfly came in. i know in the end i will have to get rid of them when they get big. thanks for the help.

You like the color yellow I take it :)

Yeah, be careful with the butterfly. They don't do well if they are getting bullied. They are really picky eaters to begin with , and they won't eat at all if they feel threatened.

actually everything is good now. i just re-arranged my rocks around and the yellow tang doesnt mess with the butterfly fish. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom