Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2007, 04:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
Long time, no see, need advice and opinions!!

OK, been gone a while due to moving and had to tear down my 125. Just bought a 200 gallon tank and am going to set up a FOWLR. Got the tank for $300, so I can't complain.

I have purchased a TurboFloter 1000 to use in a DIY sum I am going to make out of a large Rubbermaid. I bought a Little Giant 5.5 (overkill, I know) as the return pump for the sump, but it will have about 20 feet of head so that will tone it down. The tank is not drilled so i bought 2 600 GPH overflows to drain to the sump. The pump may be a bit to strong for the overflow boxes, but if it is I will just add a third overflow. Does this sound like a pretty good plumbing set up or am I missing something.

I will have 250-300 lbs of live rock for the tank, and am purchasing a RO/DI unit tomorrow. I have had saltwater tank for years so I know the basics, but this is the biggest I have done. Am I on the right track, anything you can think of I may not have?

Thanks, Mike

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

wow... sounds like your on the right track... maybe pics?... I would love to see this monster fish tank..

Old 08-21-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

sounds like a nice setup to me... but i dont know if i personally would invest on a RODI for FOWLR... I know there are may benefits for having RODI but FO tanks i wouldnt get it
Old 08-21-2007, 05:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
The only reason I am looking is for algae control. I figure the cleaner the water that goes in, the less chance of algae blooms along the way. Help control Cyano, all the nasty little things my wife can't stand about my fish tank.

I will have pics, I pick up the 200 and hope to at least have a test run going by Sunday, will be a few weeks before full setup though.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:11 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACATUA
The only reason I am looking is for algae control. I figure the cleaner the water that goes in, the less chance of algae blooms along the way. Help control Cyano, all the nasty little things my wife can't stand about my fish tank.
Sounds like some sound thinking to me. I would always suggest an RO/DI no matter what SW set up you have. Yes it`s more important for a reef but tap does have a tendacy to have excessive nutrients in it that will feed nuisance algea.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What about a UV before I get livestock, maybe i can prevent some of the nasties in the tank.......I know, I know, quarantine.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sounds like you have a plan. Can't wait to see the pics.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

WHOOPS! Change of plans. I found a 180 drilled with a homemade sump, 125lbs of LR, sand bed, fluidized bed filter, UV sterilzer, and pumps plumbed for $500. Could not pass it up. I LOVE Craigslist!

Anyway, no skimmer so I will still use the TurboFloter, maybe move the pump out and use my bigger Little Giant, buy about 100lbs more LR, clean her up and be ready to go, cycled and all!

Tags
long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com