Long time, no see, need advice and opinions!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MACATUA

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK, been gone a while due to moving and had to tear down my 125. Just bought a 200 gallon tank and am going to set up a FOWLR. Got the tank for $300, so I can't complain.

I have purchased a TurboFloter 1000 to use in a DIY sum I am going to make out of a large Rubbermaid. I bought a Little Giant 5.5 (overkill, I know) as the return pump for the sump, but it will have about 20 feet of head so that will tone it down. The tank is not drilled so i bought 2 600 GPH overflows to drain to the sump. The pump may be a bit to strong for the overflow boxes, but if it is I will just add a third overflow. Does this sound like a pretty good plumbing set up or am I missing something.

I will have 250-300 lbs of live rock for the tank, and am purchasing a RO/DI unit tomorrow. I have had saltwater tank for years so I know the basics, but this is the biggest I have done. Am I on the right track, anything you can think of I may not have?

Thanks, Mike

wow... sounds like your on the right track... maybe pics?... I would love to see this monster fish tank..

sounds like a nice setup to me... but i dont know if i personally would invest on a RODI for FOWLR... I know there are may benefits for having RODI but FO tanks i wouldnt get it

The only reason I am looking is for algae control. I figure the cleaner the water that goes in, the less chance of algae blooms along the way. Help control Cyano, all the nasty little things my wife can't stand about my fish tank.

I will have pics, I pick up the 200 and hope to at least have a test run going by Sunday, will be a few weeks before full setup though.

MACATUA said:
The only reason I am looking is for algae control. I figure the cleaner the water that goes in, the less chance of algae blooms along the way. Help control Cyano, all the nasty little things my wife can't stand about my fish tank.

Sounds like some sound thinking to me. I would always suggest an RO/DI no matter what SW set up you have. Yes it`s more important for a reef but tap does have a tendacy to have excessive nutrients in it that will feed nuisance algea.

What about a UV before I get livestock, maybe i can prevent some of the nasties in the tank.......I know, I know, quarantine.

Sounds like you have a plan. Can't wait to see the pics.

WHOOPS! Change of plans. I found a 180 drilled with a homemade sump, 125lbs of LR, sand bed, fluidized bed filter, UV sterilzer, and pumps plumbed for $500. Could not pass it up. I LOVE Craigslist!

Anyway, no skimmer so I will still use the TurboFloter, maybe move the pump out and use my bigger Little Giant, buy about 100lbs more LR, clean her up and be ready to go, cycled and all!

Back
Top Bottom