Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just purely because if not properly maintained they will become a high nitrate factory in the tank obv not so much an issues in fish only but still not great for the tank it's also not really needed in the saltwater set up from what I understand although to be honest I don't use one so you may know more on the issue than I

Old 02-06-2013, 04:11 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've heard about high nitrates, but I never had that issue, but then I maintain the filter regularly too

Old 02-06-2013, 05:57 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody390 View Post
Just purely because if not properly maintained they will become a high nitrate factory in the tank obv not so much an issues in fish only but still not great for the tank it's also not really needed in the saltwater set up from what I understand although to be honest I don't use one so you may know more on the issue than I
+1, I also recommend staying away from canisters if you can. In general they just require much more maintenance. What are planning on having in the tank? That will set the standard from the start... Also when it comes to cycling, I always try to recommend the shrimp method or the fish less method.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Starting with the canister as it is what I have at the moment. I know i will have to be diligently cleaning it but that's ok for now. Thinking I might be going to build a sump. I have a couple 10g and a 15g lying around the house I could use. No clue on how to do that at the moment but I have seen a few designs on here
Old 02-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just put in about 25lb of live rock this afternoon. Not only is this my first saltwater but it is the most patient I have ever been setting up a tank😁
Old 02-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh yeah and got another power head in too. I'll post some pics in a little while
Old 02-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sweet looking forward to them
Old 02-08-2013, 02:45 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

The canister will be fine, just clean it out every week by rinsing all media in tank water during the PWC. i use one on my reef tank, and have no problems with nitrates because I clean it every week and alternate changing out media every week.
I would add all the LR now for the cycle. As said by Deb, the LR will seed the base rock and help the cycle go faster. It's better to get everything in at the start of the cycle so that BB can grow on all of it.
Good luck with the tank! And keep us posted on the progress.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl View Post
The canister will be fine, just clean it out every week by rinsing all media in tank water during the PWC. i use one on my reef tank, and have no problems with nitrates because I clean it every week and alternate changing out media every week.
I would add all the LR now for the cycle. As said by Deb, the LR will seed the base rock and help the cycle go faster. It's better to get everything in at the start of the cycle so that BB can grow on all of it.
Good luck with the tank! And keep us posted on the progress.

Won't high ammonia level kill the BB on the rock that's already live? I'm curious about this. Thanks
Old 02-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmann View Post

Won't high ammonia level kill the BB on the rock that's already live? I'm curious about this. Thanks
The BB that shows up first eats the ammonia, so it won't hurt it. The BB isnt like the fish; ammonia doesn't burn and hurt it. Ammonia is food to it. If there's more food for it, it'll reproduce more.

If you can afford to put all the rock in at once at the start of he cycle, it's better. Rock is expensive, however, so sometimes people start with some rock and then add more later as finances allow.

Tags
long, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Buckets | Clownfish »