Look at my rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottayy

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is on them?

To me it looks like diatoms again? and I'm not sure what the neon green stuff is. Could it be coraline algae? Probably just the nuisance stuff.

Also, does anyone see any pods? :D I wouldn't know what to look for.

View My Video

the brown is definately diatoms and the green looks like the start of coraline to me

so do you have any plans of doing a reef down the road or just strictly fish only

I am getting fish that are reef safe in case I get good at this and decide I want to do a reef!

I don't want to eliminate that possibility. I also just purchased some lighting that will be sufficient for some corals and stuff.

So it looks that way! I just can't be sure because I suck at fishkeeping so far. Learning though.

I just read this while looking up coraline algae. Is this true?

Coralline Algae must be physically brought into your tank in order for it to reproduce and populate the various surfaces.

If so, I have not physically brought any to my tank.

Did you seed your rock? If so you probably brought in some coraline. I have green coraline growing on my base rock and it looks exactly like that.

I have the same exact thing! I moved some empty shells that my large hermits weren't using to the very top of the tank and they started turning brown. I have the neon green algae on only one of my LR, but I also have purple "blobs" growing on all of my LR and I'm guessing thats also coraline algae

All rock I bought was base rock when purchased, never any live rock. I'm wondering if it could've got in with the snails/crabs I have. They had a bunch of coraline in their LFS tanks.

I have snails and hermits with coralline on their shells LOL. Not sure if that's enough but hey whatever works!

If there is any purple on the snails' shells you can pick them up and scratch off some of the coralline with your fingernail and let it float away in the tank. Won't take long for it to reattach somewhere else. My tank is only a few months old and the back glass is nearly covered in coralline.

My rock is coloring up the same as your Scottay.. Thats what I read is corraline algae will start out as green then you will get the other colors, red,purple and pink...

Shane.

tjm80 said:
If there is any purple on the snails' shells you can pick them up and scratch off some of the coralline with your fingernail and let it float away in the tank. Won't take long for it to reattach somewhere else. My tank is only a few months old and the back glass is nearly covered in coralline.

This process isn't necessary for the coralline to spread. It will happen on its own. A big part of coralline is calcium, make sure you have the proper levels or it won't grow. Sounds like its spreading though so that's good.

The bright green is all over the rocks now and I have a few purple spots! :-D
My calcium must be good ;) I don't test for it though.

Regular PWC's and decent salt mix should keep your calcium where it should be, but it doesn't hurt to test it.

Regular PWC's and decent salt mix should keep your calcium where it should be, but it doesn't hurt to test it.

I haven't been testing because I'm FOWLR right now. Should I be testing it or should I save the calcium testing for when I do some corals?

Where did you get your base rock? It looks like pretty good stuff. Also, did I catch a treasure chest in there?

Back
Top Bottom