looking for a briefing on feeding fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laurandavid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As I am waiting for my tank to cycle I am reading several posts on feeding your fish a variety of foods.

I wrote down several suggestions and went to my LFS and they only sell dried seaweed, pellets and flakes.

I see alot of people speaking of mysis again I am looking to order this any ideas?

Can anyone recommend a good place to order foods from, can I order the suggested frozen stuff on -line also?

I see many people "add" supplements such as garlic , what form, and how much?

Sorry for all of the questions I just want to start getting prepared ahead of time!!

Thank you.

You can order frozen things online. Dr Foster & Smith has a very very good selection of foods, frozen and other.

As for adding stuff to the food, Zoe and Selcon are vitamin liquids that are the most commonly used. Garlic extreme is a liquid garlic supplement. I make my own garlic oil by putting fresh chopped garlic in a jar, top with oil, shake daily, keep stored in a dark place. A couple weeks later, strain the garlic pieces out.

I am glad to see you researching while you wait for your tank to cycle, more people should take your example. Welcome to AA!

Try to go for a mixture of vegetable and meat (shrimp, etc), as most fish do well with the variety.

Check out products like Garlic Guard. Garlic is used to boost the fish's immune system and often, stimulate strong feeding responses, as the zoe is a vitamin. Use both.

You will pay a lot of money ordering frozen food online for shipping, for obvious reasons. Once the food thaws, it's no longer good so it needs to stay frozen. Not saying you can't do it, but if you can find a store that sells it near you I would go with that route. Normally all chain stores sell frozen food even if they don't sell saltwater fish. Some might even carry it if they don't sell fish. I know petsmart by me carries it.

HTH

I agree with the rest. I soak my frozen in garlic guard, zoe and selcon.

As Lindsay said you can go to petsmart or petco if you have one near by and they should have what you need. Remember variety is the key to feeding. I feed flake, frozen and dried seaweed.

I do have a petco nearby, never thought of going there for food!! Thanks a million on the information, I will go there today to see what they carry in the line of food. Thanks again.

I would stay away from the gel based foods, as they sink to the bottom and the fish sometimes aren't used to eating off the bottom. I do use a little gel based food to feed my inverts. I love hearing the pistol snap when some one gets too close.

Back
Top Bottom