Looking for a good sandsifter...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul87

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm trying to find a good sand sifter for my 35 gallon. Currently in the tank is a mccoskers flasher wrasse, bicolor blenny, cleaner shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp, and several snails. I do have nassirus snails in there buts that's it ad far as sand sifters. Any good ideas welcome. I did have a chocolate chip star fish but I got rid of him. He ate half of one of my precious sponges and was on my mushroom rock when I got him out.

paul87 said:
I'm trying to find a good sand sifter for my 35 gallon. Currently in the tank is a mccoskers flasher wrasse, bicolor blenny, cleaner shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp, and several snails. I do have nassirus snails in there buts that's it ad far as sand sifters. Any good ideas welcome. I did have a chocolate chip star fish but I got rid of him. He ate half of one of my precious sponges and was on my mushroom rock when I got him out.

Sand sifting star fish come to mind. And as I'm finding out a yellow face jawfish will plow through your sand like crazy!! He's making himself a secret path underground in my BC29 it's crazy cool to watch!! If you have corals laying on your sand bed lol.... Plan on them being buried an having to move them often. I moved my 2 open brains 3x's since I got mine and it's only been 2 days! I watch him and I just see sand flying everywhere! With all mess and mounds of sand he's leaving I still wouldn't get rid of him. He's an awesome addition to my tank

image-1910324136.jpg

Sand sifting stars sift the sand for the beneficial micro fauna that live there. If you want a beneficial sandbed stay away from them.

crister13 said:
Sand sifting stars sift the sand for the beneficial micro fauna that live there. If you want a beneficial sandbed stay away from them.

Really? Good to know. Learn something everyday. Although I buy mine when I can't find a chocolate chip star for my harliquin shrimp.

Yeah I love my shrimp. And thanks for the info! I know now not to ever get one again. I don't wanna take the chance If she's not hungry.

I like the jawfish but is it gonna be cool with my bicolor blenny??

paul87 said:
I like the jawfish but is it gonna be cool with my bicolor blenny??

I can only give you my experience. I have a orange spotted goby who has his spot and the jawfish who has his. Everyone gets along just fine in my tank. The jawfish is a peaceful fish. However it is aggressive towards its own kind.

Honesty I think you be really happy with it. Its so fun to watch and it's a people watcher. It just sits peaking outta his hole watching you. lol so funny.

I got a golden head sleeper goby to sift my sand.. That guy is non stop sifting! Does a great job.. I named him 'Doc' as is 'Rug Doctor'

I got a sleeper gold head goby, he is crazy non stop sifting. Love it

Jawfish can be jumpers and are shy so in an active tank you need to target feed them. That won't be a problem here.

Back
Top Bottom