Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Looking for a good sandsifter...

I'm trying to find a good sand sifter for my 35 gallon. Currently in the tank is a mccoskers flasher wrasse, bicolor blenny, cleaner shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp, and several snails. I do have nassirus snails in there buts that's it ad far as sand sifters. Any good ideas welcome. I did have a chocolate chip star fish but I got rid of him. He ate half of one of my precious sponges and was on my mushroom rock when I got him out.

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87
I'm trying to find a good sand sifter for my 35 gallon. Currently in the tank is a mccoskers flasher wrasse, bicolor blenny, cleaner shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp, and several snails. I do have nassirus snails in there buts that's it ad far as sand sifters. Any good ideas welcome. I did have a chocolate chip star fish but I got rid of him. He ate half of one of my precious sponges and was on my mushroom rock when I got him out.
Sand sifting star fish come to mind. And as I'm finding out a yellow face jawfish will plow through your sand like crazy!! He's making himself a secret path underground in my BC29 it's crazy cool to watch!! If you have corals laying on your sand bed lol.... Plan on them being buried an having to move them often. I moved my 2 open brains 3x's since I got mine and it's only been 2 days! I watch him and I just see sand flying everywhere! With all mess and mounds of sand he's leaving I still wouldn't get rid of him. He's an awesome addition to my tank

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1910324136.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	101187

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sand sifting stars sift the sand for the beneficial micro fauna that live there. If you want a beneficial sandbed stay away from them.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crister13
Sand sifting stars sift the sand for the beneficial micro fauna that live there. If you want a beneficial sandbed stay away from them.
Really? Good to know. Learn something everyday. Although I buy mine when I can't find a chocolate chip star for my harliquin shrimp.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 06-17-2012, 10:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lol nice! Harlequins are awesome.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's why they die so frequently. They eat it all theres there's nothing left.....
Old 06-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I love my shrimp. And thanks for the info! I know now not to ever get one again. I don't wanna take the chance If she's not hungry.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I like the jawfish but is it gonna be cool with my bicolor blenny??

Old 06-18-2012, 12:01 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87
I like the jawfish but is it gonna be cool with my bicolor blenny??
I can only give you my experience. I have a orange spotted goby who has his spot and the jawfish who has his. Everyone gets along just fine in my tank. The jawfish is a peaceful fish. However it is aggressive towards its own kind.

Honesty I think you be really happy with it. Its so fun to watch and it's a people watcher. It just sits peaking outta his hole watching you. lol so funny.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:01 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Does your orange spotted gong sift the sand?

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com